2002isGuy

2002 BMW HID Bi-Xenon Headlight conversion kit

31 posts / 3592 viewsLast Reply

Really needs a more attractive housing, or it's going to be a VERY tough sell to this crowd.

I also don't understand why the angel eyes are part of the package. They were not period correct until the e46 generation, and generally 2002 guys want stuff that was of the time, or at least looks the part.

You can see pics on my website at the bottom -- http://hidupgrades.com.  The halo rings are mounted inside of the headlight as part of our assembly process, then the lenses are sealed.

Each headlight's projector and LED DRL Halo ring is tested before shipping. Bad news is that I sold out of all inventory this weekend after posting here.

When I have more stock, I'll post back here to the forum. Anyone that would like a kit can also email me through my website and I'll put you on the list to be notified when I have kits back in stock.

How much current do these headlights draw compared to H4s. I have an early 2002 that does not use a relay. All the current runs through the switch on the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Spyke said:

Really needs a more attractive housing, or it's going to be a VERY tough sell to this crowd.

I also don't understand why the angel eyes are part of the package. They were not period correct until the e46 generation, and generally 2002 guys want stuff that was of the time, or at least looks the part.

My reply to your statement would simply be, "that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla ice cream."  And as I've said in a previous post, I'm not a purist, but someone who wants 21st century lighting. I'm not trying to be everything to everyone. And not attempting to be "period correct".

21 minutes ago, rockyford77 said:

How much current do these headlights draw compared to H4s. I have an early 2002 that does not use a relay. All the current runs through the switch on the dash.

Max start current on the ballasts is  5.5amps and normal operating is 13.5V/4.2A. With a warmup time of less than 10 seconds. Our HID controller/relay handles the connections for a hassle-free install. Operating temps are from -40°F to 220° F.

A 55 watt Halogen lamp draws a constant 10 Amps, while an HID lamp in steady state draws in 3-4.5 Amps (50-60% less power). As a result of lower power consumption, less heat is dissipated by the HID lighting and more power from the engine. Additionally, you will be doing your part for the environment: less power consumption means less waste.

An HID bulb will last four to five times as long as a halogen lamp. The lamp will have a life of at least 2,000 hrs. For most people, this translates into the life of the vehicle and probably the life of the next vehicle as well.

4 hours ago, 2002isGuy said:

Max start current on the ballasts is  5.5amps and normal operating is 13.5V/4.2A. 

A 55 watt Halogen lamp draws a constant 10 Amps, while an HID lamp in steady state draws in 3-4.5 Amps (50-60% less power). As a result of lower power consumption, less heat is dissipated by the HID lighting and more power from the engine.

2002isGuy - 35W or 55W ballast for the HID? If that is each, you're looking at a consumption of 56.7W PER. Also, a 55W Halogen lamp will not draw a constant 10 Amps... neither 10 Amps nor constant. I'm not 100% sure at what exact voltage a 55W halogen gets it's rating, however because it is a filament type bulb, an increase in voltage will cause an increase in current draw. That being said, I would say that the most current a 55W bulb will draw is ~4.6A at 12V or 5.27A at 13.8V yielding a staggering 72.7W. So this means that on startup, your ballast draws ~5-20% more Amps for a short amount of time than the halogen bulb and ~10-20% less thereafter. 

Please don't spread the rumor that you have 50% less current draw than a halogen. I will state for the given power draw, you'll be ~30-50% more efficient though and as such produce less heat in the headlight as more power is being converted to visible light and not "wasted" as heat.

5 hours ago, rockyford77 said:

I rewired the entire front end of the car because of this very reason. I personally would NOT push headlights of any kind (well, maybe LED) through the headlight switch. Put in a small relay in an inconspicuous location. Your wiring will thank you and if you stay with halogens, you may actually see an increase in light output if your existing path is dropping the voltage to the headlight (old wiring and switches do cause voltage drops) which in turn creates a dimmer output. A HID ballast will compensate for the lower voltage and just draw more current to keep output up, further stressing wiring.

5 hours ago, Spyke said:

I'm actually considering these, though still not quite sold: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-super7-jeep-wrangler-led-headlights.html

or going straight LED replacement bulb: http://bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

(edited)

I don't have much more to add to these posts, except -- I prefer HIDs over Halogens and LED headlights. My 2002 is a restomod with a long list of mods, I'm not a purist.

And I do believe that it makes sense to improve on any older car's engineering with any electrical parts, wheels & tires, lighting, brake parts, suspension parts, engine parts and drive line parts that make it more reliable, safer and even more fun to drive.

That's what my 2002 is all about!  👍 😊

Edited by 2002isGuy
forgot two words

I don't have much more to add to these posts, except -- I prefer HIDs over Halogens and LED headlights. My 2002 is a restomod with a long list of mods, I'm not a purist.

And I do believe that it makes sense to improve on any older car's engineering with any electrical parts, wheels & tires, lighting, brake parts, suspension parts, engine parts and drive line parts that make it more reliable, safer and even more fun to drive.

That's what my 2002 is all about! 

While you’re at add air bags and antilock brakes