fiftytakedowns

Misfiring of a barn find 2002

29 posts / 2682 viewsLast Reply

Is that with a warm engine? If not, they are pretty poor (or your compression gauge is seriously out of whack).

This engine was warmed up and was running ok. High idle

Thank you to all the members who offered your advice we did everything on the list in the car now runs much better ! still need some serious work but on the right track

Thank you to all the members who offered your advice we did everything on the list in the car now runs much better ! still need some serious work but on the right track

The only thing left to do off the list is rebuild the carb

The only thing left to do off the list is rebuild the carb

Go down to Napa and buy some NGK BP6ES and then throw those Autolite plugs away. Don't let them sell you the resistor plugs. 

He put in some new NGKs, gapped to spec. New correct ceramic style and sized fuses, new vacuum lines and capped off non-used ones, new smaller fuel filter, adjusted the water choke and rugged up a new battery-body ground for now.

The car runs way better leaving then it did coming. Still low compression and smoky but ok.

Great meeting you today sir!

LOVE the last picture.     Bin there done than.     My first tii was Malaga.   In the late 80s. (Yikes!)     Many a day sittin on the trunk reading manuals.

I believe your compression should be at LEAST 120-120-120-120.  Blowing smoke.  I sounds like a head job to me.  I think you can still get it done for $500.  I may be wrong.

A world of difference, but beware of the extra compression on the old rings.

Awesome picture!!!

LOVE the last picture. Bin there done than. My first tii was Malaga. In the late 80s. (Yikes!) Many a day sittin on the trunk reading manuals.

I believe your compression should be at LEAST 120-120-120-120. Blowing smoke. I sounds like a head job to me. I think you can still get it done for $500. I may be wrong.

Thanks for the .02 cents. Do you have any recommendations?

Only to call auto machine shops in your area and ask about head rebuilds.  If they sound familiar with the M10 head, ask how much.  Other 02 owners in your area may have opinions on good shops.

I haven't torn down a head, but there are procedures and details that must be addressed.  Check the archives for "valve job", "head rebuild" and read up on past experiences, requirements and options.  That's what I'd do.

Only to call auto machine shops in your area and ask about head rebuilds. If they sound familiar with the M10 head, ask how much. Other 02 owners in your area may have opinions on good shops.

I haven't torn down a head, but there are procedures and details that must be addressed. Check the archives for "valve job", "head rebuild" and read up on past experiences, requirements and options. That's what I'd do.

Thanks

(edited)

What's your experience with this?

Edited by fiftytakedowns

What's your experience with this?

Let's just say that I've been warned about rebuilding the head and NOT the bottom end of the engine.  Professionals will tell you it's a bad idea. 

I, personally, have not had a problem on previous cars when I only did the head.  It does make sense though that an old engine will have equal wear on rings, pistons, rod bearings, and main bearings. 

If you are truly running 80psi across all cylinders it's likely that the engine has seen much use and would like a complete rebuild.

I'd like to think the gauge we rented form Autozone was working well and thus his 80 PSI is correct. We used the same gauge to test my car (cold engine) and got 130, 125, 120 and 125, which based on the way my engine runs, I'd argue it seems in an expected range.

For now though, do yall think some mystery oil or ATF soaking for a day in the pistons and/or a valve adjustment would be worth the hassle for him?

For now though, do yall think some mystery oil or ATF soaking for a day in the pistons and/or a valve adjustment would be worth the hassle for him?

Soaking and flushing of all old oil would have been better before initial start up.  Valve adjustment might change things.  Fingers crossed.