Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

5 speed conversion

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Aashish%20Dalal/My%20Documents/1971%20bmw/pic1.jpeg

Hey-- I'm trying to figure out how much it costs (approximately) to properly do the five speed conversion on my 71 1600. My 69 has it, and I love it on the freeway. Anybody have any rough estimates? I have to rebuild the 4spd, but if I can do away with that in favor for the 5...

TIA

Guest Anonymous

URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Aashish%20Dalal/My%20Documents/1971%20bmw/pic1.jpeg

lemme try this...

Guest Anonymous

Since your buying alot of used parts the price can really vary. The real expense comes in on labor. If you do it yourself this is a non-issue, but it's a fairly involved conversion, and if you pay to have it done it's going to end up pretty costly.

Guest Anonymous

you can only link to pics and url's that are on line. The board doesn't upload your pic, it only links to it.

Hugo

Guest Anonymous

ass_shot500.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

if you have a welder and can get one of those sweet $75 boneyard (hopefully you get a good one--bring a girl to the boneyard for luck ;p) trannys, and have a welder (or can borrow or rent one) then you can prolly do it for a few hundred. you need a new clutch kit to go with it, flywheel resurface (make sure they put a .020 "deck" on it--if they dont know what this is, find another machine shop), and you might as well rebuild the shifter. you need to shorten the driveshaft (can be $75-$200 depending on who you ask), a new $30 center bearing, etc. check www.2002parts.com for the kits. varco is about the only cat i'd scratch in this deparment... ;)

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.ifrance.com/myvision/BMW2002.htm

parts that you will need a welder for is the shift platform and the shifter linkage. They are available ready to go, but to me they are waaaaaaaaaay overpriced for what you get. Here is a link to the auto to 5 speed swap, is pretty close to the same is just more work going from a auto.

Guest Anonymous

it very easy (even has oil). You don;t have to weld; you can bolt the trans mounts in. My personal mounting preference is the TEP trans brace ($110 or so).