• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland big brake kit

EricB

Ireland Wilwood big brake kit for tii struts with 320i hubs and 15" wheels with brand new 300mm WIlwood rotors and Wilwood BP-20 pad.  I ordered the rotors and pads and then discovered the calipers had seized and I decided to upgrade to Massive kit.  The rotors and pads cost $190 + $65 for shippingCALIPERS ARE SEIZED AND WILL NEED TO BE REBUILT.  Includes bracket, hat and calipers.  Does not include brake lines, 320i hubs, bearings, or dust cap.

Here is a link to the kit.

http://www.iemotorsp...300mm15tii.html

Edited by EricB

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3

This is a used set with new in the box rotors and pads.  This set is great for these cars with anything resembling a stock drivetrain.  If you have a 2.5 liter s14 like we do, I think the massive kit is better for track use.  Especially at COTA which seems to be hard on brakes.  Or maybe I am hard on the brakes.....at COTA.

Edited by EricB

1998 M3

have you used the massive/IE 11.75in brake system yet?

as probably the one who tracks an M2 harder and more often most, i would not put that system on another track car. the wheel bearings on the 2002 (tii) are not strong enough to support it. they flex enough in hard corners to allow the huge rotors to push the caliper pistons back in their bores...resulting in the need to double pump the brakes at every corner to slow. these symptoms are not evident in mild or street use, but when you really push it on R-comps it is bad.

the smaller e21 rotors, real track pads, and cooling ducts is a much better solution. that is the solution i was using with no issues until i mistakenly "upgraded".

Just my experience. ...yours probably varies! :-)

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

I had the e21 rotors and then switched to the IE setup.  I had to shim the caliper brackets to get everything lined up.  I used the setup for 6 days at COTA.  The pads wore unevenly and the rotors would be cooked after 3 days at the track.  I then switched to Lee's brake kit which seems to be more well designed, but I have not yet had it on the track.  Which 11.75 system did you use?  If play in the wheel bearings is in fact the culprit then Lee's kit should not be much better.  This conversation is probably not going to help my sale a whole lot. Hmmm.

1998 M3

mlytle,

I am confused a little about the advantage.  The setup I am selling does not have e21 rotors.  It has the larger diameter rootrs from Willwwod.  They are the same diameter as the Massive kit, but significantly narrower.  It seems like the 2 would have the same problems if it was the wheel bearings, but the Massive kit would be able to dissipate a little more heat.

I have not run ducting with any of them.  My car does not have a front spoiler.  Where do you run the ducting from?  I was using BP-20 pads.

Maybe this should be changed to some sort of big brake thread?

Thanks,
Eric

1998 M3

Your ad specifically says 320i rotors.....

It would help if you would post pictures. ie has several kits. You should also post link to the specific kit on ie web site.

You can mount ducts under the valance and run hoses to cool brakes.

And get real track pads. Bp20 is not a good track pad. It is a street pad. They lack bite, overheat fast and do not last long in a track environment. Btdt. Sounds like cooling and pad choice were your main problems, not the brake hardware. Fatter rotors will not fix the basics, they will just add more unsprung weight.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

for reference, i run cooling ducts, hoses and backing plates (as documented in build thread) and Performance Friction 01 race pads up front on the 0.81 inch thick rotors.   I have 6 weekends (12 days at 4-6 sessions each day) of really abusive, beyond instructor run group level, use on the current set of pads and rotors.  rotors look perfect, pads are 2/3rds used. no unusual wear.   cooling, pad compound and braking technique are the key factors for success on track.

2xM3

That was my mistake.  The kit is designed for 320i hubs, not rotors.  Hubs are not included.  Included are brand new 300mm x 20.5mm Wilwood rotors.  Here is a link to the kit on the Ireland website:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-brake-kits/02bbk300mm15tii.html

I will contact jgerock and see if he still wants them.

Thanks for the advice.

1998 M3