Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Source for NOS Koni's?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I am seeking a pair of front koni struts # 86-1485 for my '67 2000ti. These are not the same as 2002 or anything else, near as I can tell. I have tried Classic Garage, HD Rogers, Shox.com, TC Kline, Jaymic, Proven Performance in England and am watching eBay in Germany, the US and worldwide.

Anyone out there with any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

I bought some Koni Classics for my '76 from summit. These are what Koni is offering for older cars. They are comprable to their "red" shocks (which means no external adjustment), however they are fully adjustable. The part number is 86-1519, and they are a direct fit for 2002-2002ti strut housings. I found a set of NOS reds from classic garage and combined them with the classic's I got and am very happy with the results. They are a special order item that took about three weeks to receive. Hope this helps and good luck.

Guest Anonymous

koni82P-1485.jpg

Sorry I can't help you get some now..

But 82P-1485 Koni is what you should search for by the original stock number (not 86 series), trust me on this !

Guest Anonymous

How did you learn this?

Do you have a set? I have a spare kidney I'm not using..

Guest Anonymous

you asked: "How did you learn this?"

Factory service manuals for the Neu Klasse cars identify the Koni number I shared above. Check in section 31, front suspension, on the specs page for special applications.

They also give some dimensions & damping measurements, as well as the info for Boge parts. There are some errors in the listings for 1800 NK, as I discovered the hard way ;(

I think the numbers may have changed, but suggest trying the old number in order to find true NOS.

I have bought them & installed them, so I can attest the BMW manual info was correct.

Current Koni number system appears to be different (Neu Klasse stuff probably ended production before this). Koni's current part number prefixes indicate the part feature as follows:

86 = McPherson Strut Cartridge, twin tube, std adjustable, rebuildable

87 = McPherson Strut complete housing, twin tube, std adjustable, rebuildable

80 or 82 = Standard Shock Absorber, twin tube, standard adjustable, rebuildable

The original prefix number for the 2000 insert (82P) would likely be changed to an 86, if it were still offered. I don't know if or when they became NLA, but they always have been hard to locate. Problem is many suppliers assume it is the same part as an 02, which it ain't.

Why not find a common insert that is shorter, and make up a spacer for the bottom of the 2000 strut housing?

Happy hunting !

Guest Anonymous

I don't have my Koni books here at work, but the "80" prefix does fit as a shock p/n, so that may well be what's on the carton. See the reply above.

Try calling Truechoice for Koni info, they are the experts. What application is that shock for?

I'm using shock bodies made for a Saab ('cuz they are shorter), with custom revalve to match race spring rates. You can make your own take-apart Bilstein & use their kits for the 46 series.