• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ferrari Vac and fuel line rehab

Kidasters

Nope - they don't.

There is an electronic ignition kit for the car.  I may buy it.....but it's $1500.  Yikes!

Well - there's a Pertronix kit for about 220.  Might try that next.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

almost as bad.  Dual Marelli distributors with 2 sets of points in each.  

I ordered the Pertronix kit this morning from Amazon.  I'm going to buy an extra distributor off of e-bay, so I don't have to gut one of the ones on the car.

It's frustrating to have the car running so badly.  

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Ooh. A pair of dual points...

What could go wrong? :)

I put a Mallory dual point unit in the Challenger. I think...

Good luck!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 1 month later...

After more messing, and still waiting for the electronic ignition kit - I finally got off my butt and squirted around the carbs with carb cleaner today.  And......found a stumble on the left side of the right rear carb.  The bbl where the idle adjust screw was backed out to the maximum.  That has to be the problem, and a common problem - air leaking by the bearing on that carb.  One way to fix it is pack new grease in there.  The second way is to replace the bearing with a sealed bearing.  Fix #2 fixes it for good, so that's what I'm going to plan.  So - looks like the engine lid is coming off again, and I'll pull all 4 carbs for rebuild.  I'll probably send them off to either Jim Inglese (the guy that re-built my sidedraft carbs) or Pierce Manifolds (who sold me the sealed bearings).

Dang.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Ugh.

My issues (on the project car) seem simple in comparison.

Tho I'm sure it will run great when you get those sorted!

Cheers,

Ray

Bummer!!  I might have tried the grease for a while, just so I could drive it!  

I slapped grease on the throttle shafts of my somewhat-worn Solex DDHs... there are no bushings to replace, so the fix requires machining the carb bodies and fitting a bushing with new throttle shafts...$$$ Grease works well and costs pennies.  annnnnd...I get to drive it :)

The Weber 45s on the "next project" need to be rebuilt....along with a long list of other things. yay.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

After more messing, and still waiting for the electronic ignition kit - I finally got off my butt and squirted around the carbs with carb cleaner today.  And......found a stumble on the left side of the right rear carb.  The bbl where the idle adjust screw was backed out to the maximum.  That has to be the problem, and a common problem - air leaking by the bearing on that carb.  One way to fix it is pack new grease in there.  The second way is to replace the bearing with a sealed bearing.  Fix #2 fixes it for good, so that's what I'm going to plan.  So - looks like the engine lid is coming off again, and I'll pull all 4 carbs for rebuild.  I'll probably send them off to either Jim Inglese (the guy that re-built my sidedraft carbs) or Pierce Manifolds (who sold me the sealed bearings).

Dang.

some people believe we all own old cars to drive to shows....reality is we own them because of the therapeutic benefits of just working on them in our garages.... :)

2xM3

• 2 months later...

I saw that.  Same engine.  That's a GTB (B for Berlinetta or "little saloon" in Italian).  My car is a GTS (S for Spyder - or removable roof).

auction has it at 50K.  I'm betting it'll end in the 90's or 100.  

Mine still isn't running.  I'm hoping to finish the Porsche this weekend (re-bleed brakes) and get it out of the way to pull the engine lid off of the ferrari and start pulling carbs.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Still reading comments. This one was cool:

"A new Camry is faster, has better A/C and more effective windshield wipers. It has a warranty and the electric windows are swift and silent. You can hear the radio. It’s warm in the winter and the windows don’t fog up. But a carbureted 308 has soul. It has more soul than you can shake a stick at. In fact, you can work all day at a soul-sucking job and the car will put it all right back. And that’s worth something, right?"

I've never been in a Ferrari...

Cheers,

Ray

Ha.  I agree with everything the guy posted.

One thing he missed - the sound.  A camry doesn't sound like this.  The car sounds amazing.  When all 4 webers are sucking air just a few inches behind your head - dammit, that's cool.

I need to fix mine so I can drive to and from my soul sucking job every so often.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Seats came out today:

20160221_082421_zpsf3hnlqnj.jpg

They look OK from afar, but really bad up close.  Going to shop around for a good upholstery shop.

Car looks weird without seats:

20160221_085556_zpssqbvkr7c.jpg

Also pulled the steering wheel.  Going to send it to the same guys that re-did my Porsche steeering wheel.

http://www.craftcustoms.com/

While all those are out - carbs coming off next weekend (I hope)......

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.