• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ferrari Vac and fuel line rehab

Kidasters

Good grief - not that it wasn't hot today or anything.  Heat index calculated by my home weather station said 108 F.  Ugh.

But, I miss driving the car, so I was out there today doing fuel and vac lines.  

The good news: 

I changed all of the fuel lines from the fuel pump all the way up to the carbs and across the 4 carbs.  It took all 6 feet of line that I ordered to do that.  I also changed some more of the vac lines.

The bad news:

I didn't have enough of the "small" lines.  The ones I bought were the wrong size.  Ordered 3 more meters of vac hose.  I also didn't have enough hose to get from carb #4 back to the vapor recovery system.  So, I'm not done.  Still have a lot to do.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

No - no I can't.  I shudder at thinking of having to rebuild one of my 4.

Since we had an early taste of October weather - I was out in the garage yesterday working on it.  

The good news - got about 1/2 of the lines done.  Also put a wrench on all of the bolts on the carb holding it down - solid.  Also - it's pretty obvious that all of these vac lines are original.  The hoses are cracked and brittle, and some of the hose clamps are so rusty they just break off.   It's got to be the source of the lean running carb - because each hose ties into the base of the carbs.   I also used the complete 6 feet of fuel line I got from JEGS when I did the line from the fuel pump all the way up to and through the carbs.  It looks good.

The bad news - only 1/2 of the lines are done.  The vac line hoses seem to be about 4AN (1/4" ID) - and the second 3 meters of hose I bought has a metal braid under the nylon braided jacket.  Which makes it not very flexible, so I can't get it to fit a lot of the fittings.  Ordered another 3 meters that don't have the metal braided core from a place in the UK - but it's in the UK.  Sept 9-17 is the expected arrival date.  I guess the good news is that it will be ready for "driving season" when that arrives.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Heh.

First - swap out a bunch of rotten bushings on the suspension of the 911.

Then - swap the head on the 2002, and install dual sidedraft 40's.  

And - while it's on the "work lift" - change the guibo.

And - rebuild both carbs on the R90/6

And - get a new engine for the mini......

and - I'm sure I'm missing something.

I'd really like another Porsche 964 - if I could find one at a "deal" price......

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

You do need more toys! :D

I need to get back on the project car. I'll try and get the brakes done this week. Also I ordered tires, arriving tomorrow. Fat Michelin 175/70/13s for the E21 rims!

Durn I need to finish swapping the steering box also...

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm now getting a clearer picture as to why the 2002's sidedraft project has lingered...yikes.

When/where was the early taste of October weather?  Saturday was miserable in Austin...  I swapped the radiator out of the '75 at dawn on Sunday and still had to wear a sweatband to keep the sweat out of my eyes... ugggghh.  But... the car runs perfectly at 3:00 on the gauge now, so it was worth it.

I think we've broken summer's back, though... highs only 93-ish for the rest of the week. SWEET

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Seriously?  Last week (Tuesday I think) the low in the morning was 69 degrees with 92% humidity.  It was really nice.  I don't think it's been over 100 all week.  That's not August/September weather.

When it gets that cool, I know that there is no way a hurricane comes here - with cold fronts pushing that far south!

I may have the Ferrari done just in time for Driving Season!!! Yay!!!

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

No hurricanes??!!  be thankful it is so cool... the depression that formed overnight off the Texas shores could have easily spun up, I think... y'all are still getting soaked, regardless.

I am very thankful for the cooler weather, though.  I can take 93, for sure.  Now I need to rebuild some fuel lines and such on the '75 (read the "Safety Announcement thread)... coulda ended badly.

Now get that Italian Stallion running!  Yer burnin' daylight!...

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 2 weeks later...

Well - hose showed up yesterday.  Installed today.  New lines look nicer, for sure.  Been messing with the carbs now, and I'm getting closer.  Still popping, and I've given all the mixture screws one full turn (1/4 at a time).  1/4 turn, test.  1/4 turn, test..... it only does it now when the car is warm and driven for a bit.  

A buddy of mine thinks the timing is off - I'm not sure.  I'll try one more 1/4 turn (1.25 turns total since starting) - and then I might have to mess with timing.  Before I do that - I think I'll change all of the plugs.

This is really making me unhappy.  But, it's been fun to drive around "testing" today.  

It was only supposed to be 85 today.  It's 93.  Bite me weatherman......

Meanwhile - I thought about putting the 911 up on the "work" lift - but decided that the next project will be to do the head and carbs on the 2002.  That project has been waiting for so long, It's time.

So, the 2002 is on the work lift above the Ferrari.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Do they make a 123ignition for that? :)

I'm awaiting the rest of my brake and clutch hydraulics for the project car. Should be here Monday. Wheeee!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.