Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Converting Mechanical Clutch assembly.....

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Converting my 68 1602 to Hydraulic. Question, is there 2 different type of slave cylinders, and will it be okay with my stock 4 speed? My linkage broke and I might as well upgrade.

Guest Anonymous

You need the slave cylinder that fits into the bore on the left side of the transmission case, and is retained by snap rings. You cannot use the bolt-on slave cylinders used with 320i 5spd. Here's a short list of what you may need. You might want to consider getting a good used 2002 pedal box, and swapping it as complete assembly, maybe put new bushings on the pedals at this time. Also, you'll need a brake fluid reservoir with 3 ports.

What part of the linkage broke?

Guest Anonymous

The rod that attaches to the pedal box. The connection point is well rounded out as well. I had another parts car with all the correct stuff to replace, but it too had the same issues and just wasn't good. I have secured a pedal box assembly from a 2002 with rebuild kit already done, thanks to one of our club members, Ryan 68 2002. Don't have a fluid resevoir with the 3 nipples, but got the small bottle from the 1600 parts car and will plug one of the holes for the clutch. In review it looked like 2 different slave cylinders listed, but good to know I think I have the right one then. I was worried about it fitting right with the old 4 speed. Appreciate any additional feedback that you have.

Guest Anonymous

pedal box and most likely also go to the later style brake booster, run extra brake lines to the front and swap out your calipers.

I've had an '02 with the mechanical linkage, other than a little greater pedal pressure on the clutch, I liked the 'feel' much better.

Unless what you have is seriously broken, I'd suggest you stay with your current solution.

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

I have a mid 1969 with a "normal" two-line brake system and 4-piston front calipers. I had late 1967 12V that had the whacky remote booster setup and single-line front brakes. I'm fairly certain this is not a hard swap with the 4-piston front calipers.

Guest Anonymous

I've already converted the brake booster to the 4 line type, but plugged one of the lines, because I still run the 2 piston calipers. A upgrade I will do one of these days. I would like to keep manual, I like it, but am being told the best route to go in Hydraulic. I eventually will do a 5 speed conversion. The attachment point on the pedal box is starting to round out, and I don't see where there is a bushing to go in there. Is there one? Any downfalls to keeping the mechanical?

Guest Anonymous

They have found a replacement pedal box with good linkage.

Guest Anonymous

However- I also like the feel of the mechanical set-up better. Its more direct. I kept it during a restoration when I could have easily switched to hydrolic. I think that the reason that car manufacturers changed to hydrolic may be to reduce vibration and noise. Now i have the 5 speed so- hydrolic it is.

I made a new linkage rod from stainless without any problems. I drilled out the other parts and put bronze bushings in them and it all worked out really well. So if you like fix it and you won't have to touch it for another 30 years (unlike the hydrolic setup.)