• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You need to get to work cleaning that block face until you can eat your dinner off it. Gasket remover and some flattened copper pipe for scraping. To clean the piston tops, pack the ring area of the pistons at the top of their stroke with grease and stuff the bores of the lowered pistons with rags. You need to keep the crap out of the bores. When you have finished with one pair of pistons, wipe out the grease carefully and whip out the rags. You can then, carefully, roll the engine over noting your timing chain floating in space, you can get to the other piston pair in the same way.

Once you have done the deck and pistons then chase out the threads for the head bolts with the appropriate size tap. Flush the holes with carb cleaner or similar and wipe out with rags. An air line is best but watch your eyes when blowing out the holes. You want to aim to be able to easily wind the headbolts in until they naturally bottom out entirely by hand.

Any crap remaining in the holes will at best prevent reliable sealing of the head gasket and at worst crack your block through hydraulic pressure.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Another tip for reassembly (more a don't do what I have done moment): the first time I replaced the head gasket on my 2002, I had been pushing it around in gear to bump the engine up to TDC before dropping the head in place. I located the head and put the bolts in place and proceeded to torque them up as required. Unfortunately I forgot to take the car out of gear or reapply the handbrake. As I pulled on the torque wrench I actually moved the car a bit which in turn rotated the crank away from TDC without me realising. Once the head was torqued down correctly, I buttoned up the cam sprocket and timing chain not realising the car was no longer at TDC and not mentally making the connection between the car rolling and the crank turning

Anyway, the upshot was that when cranking the exhaust valves hit the pistons and I learnt an expensive lesson. To check, check and check again what you think is the correct relationship between flywheel TDC mark, no 1 piston, the front pulley mark,the cam and the oil rail.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

Good point about the angle gauge. I think the totally correct answer is to follow the instructions from the head gasket manufacturer which may be the most appropriate technique for the gasket composition ( I am pretty sure that all of the OEM type gaskets use an angle gauge now).

Ready to be flamed by those that swear by the stock BMW torque only method. I don't think it is a million miles away from the same result but I figure the gasket makers know their onions and wouldn't specify it if they didn't think it had benefit.

rtheriaque wrote:

That is an interesting pattern on the top of the pistons, almost like something seeping in to the intake side of the head and steam cleaning the intake side edge of your piston.  Might explain your white smoke issue.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I noticed that little clean spot on a couple pistons as well. 

In the past, I have filled spray bottles with distilled water, upped the idle to around 2000 and sprayed all the water into my intake to clean off cylinder tops and valve faces.  I recall you can use a small container, some hose and a restrictor to create a water injector as well.  Just plug it into a vacuum port.

Jose

You can also add a couple of strong zip ties to the timing chain just below the cam sprocket. Nice and tight. This helps keep tension on the chain and lower crank sprocket just in case the bungee cord fails, the chain will not move. I used 2 zip ties and didn't need the bungee cord, key is to keep the chain tight on the cam sprocket.

I also cleaned the heck off the block. take your time. I cleaned mine over a a couple of days using various soft scrapers being careful not to gouge the block surface. 

Also, get some good industrial cotton swabs to clean the head bolt holes.  I read about 10 different faq responses just on this. Clean, clean clean. This ensures that the head bolts will provide sufficient and consistent clamping force when you install the head.

Finally, use this project to inspect/clean/replace the intake/exhaust manifold studs. 

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX

That is an interesting pattern on the top of the pistons, almost like something seeping in to the intake side of the head and steam cleaning the intake side edge of your piston. Might explain your white smoke issue.

Mark92131

Good point!

May want to examine brake booster and master cylinder for leak.

Looking at bottom of cylinder head picture, seems like was in the machine shop and had skim cut not very long time ago. Also, head gasket does not seems to be very old and is1.5mm thick. Like to hear what machine shop diagnose after inspection.

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Lots of good info here.

Dropped the head off to Ken today. He pointed out a few different areas where the head had clearly been repaired (he said it looked solid). Apparently someone really took some time and effort in reviving this thing. I'll keep you guys updated on the condition/diagnosis. My problem could've very well just been some of the gaskets (quite a few of them weren't in the best condition).

In the meantime, a few of you guys touched on it, but I'm now accepting advice on how to get everything (block, accessories, engine bay in general) nice and clean while half of the engine is out.

I don't have anything other then basic hand tools at my disposal, and I'd like to keep things cheap, but I'm certainly capable of purchasing/borrowing whatever is needed if there's some hard core cleaning techniques that require other stuff.

Great thread.  I'm going to be pulling the head on my car, so I really like all the comments here.  One thing - I don't know why you guys are all spun up about making sure the timing chain doesn't move.  It makes it easier if it doesn't, but really all you want to make sure of is that it doesn't fall down into the lower cover and you can't grab it.  It may move around - so what.  Like Toby said, you are going to want to check, double check, triple check the timing marks/TDC before you try to get it to breathe fire again.  

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Great thread.  I'm going to be pulling the head on my car, so I really like all the comments here.  One thing - I don't know why you guys are all spun up about making sure the timing chain doesn't move.  It makes it easier if it doesn't, but really all you want to make sure of is that it doesn't fall down into the lower cover and you can't grab it.  It may move around - so what.  Like Toby said, you are going to want to check, double check, triple check the timing marks/TDC before you try to get it to breathe fire again.  

This is basically what Ken told me as well. It's nice to keep in place, but not the end of the world if something slips.

all you want to make sure of is that it doesn't fall down into the lower cover and you can't grab it.

It won't drop all the way down, the chain guide will hold it but let it drop down on the drivers side, get it jammed below the chain guide when it kinks over the lower sprocket.  Then repeat your comment with no fowl language!

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

repeat your comment with no fowl language!

you sayin' i'm chicken?

Ha.  Just kidding.  No - you make a good point.  Keep it neat, you'll be happier later.  Point taken.

Dang - this is my 2002'nth post.  How underwhelming.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.