Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Just purchased 2 1971 2002s

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hello all, I've just bought 2 1971 2002s (one is a parts car, one is the good car).

(I'm a h2o VW guy, I have an 81 Scirocco turbo and 83 Rabbit GTI) but I couldn't refuse the deal I got on these BMWs :)

I just got the good one home and I pulled the air cleaner off and it was soaked with water. I pulled the oil cap and it's milky white. I'm figuring head gasket, but is the head gasket a common problem on these cars? It's prety stock so it's probably the engine it came w/ in 71.

I've seen gasket sets for $75 online, is this a good deal? What are some good parts places to buy from?

Do I need to replace the head bolts? SHould I get ARP studs or anything? I have so many questions as I'm new to BMWs

I've searched the net and the FAQs but i still have tons of questions. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

just did this job myself. Headgasket only should be around $20-$30 from zygumnt.com. Depending on what you want to do,you can choose a gasket set or just the head gasket. As far as getting you started, I suggest the Clymer BMW 2002 manual (yellow 2002 on the cover) usually on eBay for around $20.00 and also another one for cross reference, the Haynes Manual for the same car on eBay again for around $20.00.

Good Luck

Guest Anonymous

against the car's vin # - if it's the original block the #'s will match (block # is stamped on a machined flat at the bellhousing mating surface next to the starter). If it doesn't match the vin & has a number bracketed by xx's, it is (or once was) a factory reman #.