Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

How do I know if my mechanical fuel pump is dying?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Got the car started today with little trouble. On the drive back it jerked upon acceleration (bad gas?) I have put a bottle of gas anti-freeze in it. I left it running on the driveway and it died out. I looked at the in-line filter and it was empty. I have cleaned out the pickup filter in the fueltank in trunk, the filter in the fuel pump, and the one entering the carb(which was filthy) Now I can only think that the problem is the fuel pump.

Can anyone give me symptoms of a dying fuel pump?

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

My pump died not too long ago. What happened was it would die for a bit and i would be stuck. Then the car would fire again and I could drive home. This happened a couple of times. Eventually the thing just completely crapped out. To check it take off the fuel pump and try it by hand to see if it is sucking and pushing air on each respective side.

Hope that helps

Eric

Guest Anonymous

on my 69 tried to tell me last summer that it was dying by sometimes not pumping enough fuel to start the engine on hot days when the car had been running for a while. I didn't figure it out until the problem got progressively worse en route to Colorado (and I'd left my spare pump home).

Guest Anonymous

It would stall after running 10-15 minutes. At first I thought it was the carb, but that checked out. Then I had the timing adjusted. I brought the car home today and it just died on the driveway. It was plenty warmed up. I looked at the clear fuel filter and it was empty.

Where can a guy get a replacement pump? and how much will it cost me? Installation looks pretty straight forward.

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

I see $67.15 plus shipping at this web site. Or call Maximillian Importing. Or 2002AD.

You might even get one from your local NAPA or Pep Boys.

Both of the ones in my junk pile have the BMW logo on them.

Guest Anonymous

it was www.bimmerparts.com - Zygmunt Motors