Fretish

need a little nudge from my 02 crew!

22 posts / 1629 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Well gents,

I write this post with the hopes that my 02 crew will give me a little nudge forward to move into another 02.

The target....1974 Inka tii 

This is the link to the ad on kijiji....for any of you other Albertans/Canadians/Calgarians/Edmontonians looking at this add and thinking you will scoop it from me....I have a deposit on the vehicle already, you sneaky bastards!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1974-bmw-tii-rebuilt-motor-5spd/1080253578?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Before we move forward I want you to know that I absolutely love my 73 Sahara, but the plan for this sexy square tail is to finish it in time for my future wedding as a gift to my future wife. (I have the woman already lol) I have yet to even propose so I have a little time to finish it. 

Some Negatives:

Do I have the space....NO

Do I have the "expendable" cash.....Not really

Body is rough, quarter panels, rockers on both sides, hood, all in fairly rough shape.

Interior needs basically a full redo. Dash has some cracks. All seats need redoing as well as likely the door panels, carpet and headliner.

Will likely need a suspension overhaul as well

Needs new exhaust

post-43047-0-87138600-1436214735_thumb.j

Some positives

Its a tii!!!

Motor was rebuilt and has barely been run but has been converted to carburetor but includes all the original FI parts (issue here is that its not starting and the carb seems to be leaking some gas. will need to be rectified to give him what he wants for the car)

5 speed swap complete

Rear shock towers seem to be in decent shape

Brakes practically new

Awesome ATS 13's

Its a tii!!!!

Can likely wiggle my way into some storage/working space.

Like I said above, I would love to give this to what will be my future wife. She has fully embraced my car addiction and she also loves my sahara, as well as the E30 I purchased her.

Let me know what you all think, especially about the price....personally i think its a steal at 4k CAD....thats like $200usd hahahaha

I really would hate for someone (like me) to strip it down for engine, and all the rest of those juicy parts and send her to die, so I would prefer to redo it.

I will post more pics, my comp is being a bit fussy right now.....

post-43047-0-43340500-1436215384_thumb.j

Edited by Fretish

Of course it would be great to save this - and it looks to me like it needs to be saved.  

That rust in the rockers looks pretty bad.  If you can do your own metalwork, that will save you a ton of money.  Or if you are independently wealthy, you should be fine.  

Usually you put that front spoiler on that sort of car because it looks a lot better than a half-dissolved valence.  

Also a bit of a watch-out that it has a snorkel - make sure that the engine and body are tii serial numbers.  You could be buying a mish-mash of parts if you aren't careful.  

It's not clear whether they rebuilt the original engine or not.  I would say if it doesn't have the original engine, you won't end up with what you think you are buying.  If it doesn't have the original tii motor...that's at least a chunk of the value of a tii that would be missing in this car.  Just do your homework on that.  

Love the wheels.  Good luck.

Scott

hey, for like, 200usd, go for it hoser!

seriously, you are going to need a LONG engagement and another job to meet the goal.  i doubt future wife will enjoy driving a rolling resto, so you are going to need to do a pile of work up front.

I love the goal!  just recognise the time and money it will take to get there.

I'd say it depends on how bad the rust is. I bought my 74 02, basically a base model but had a nice little weber, spare trans, another set of wheels and tires, two spare doors, and a box of other parts for $1500 3 years ago out by Drumhellar and passed inspection like a champ. Mine was basically rust free due to a previous owner doing some body work shock towers in the back of mine must have been replaced at some point, aswell as a respray to a dark green instead of the factory hellblau. Interior was mostly there minus the shifter surround, and there was some choppy wiring but was perfectly fine for DD in summer.

That being said a legitimate Tii even in "mediocre" shape seems to be between 5-9000 here but due to the Alberta inflation where everyone tries to squeeze every cent out of a car i'd say its pretty good. To give you an idea, i've found a number of cars far worse off than mine over the last year going for mid 4's up to a crazy $12000 for one in the exact same shape as mine without factory wheels or anything so... Id say you got a deal especially with spare parts and a fresh engine. I'd say give it a good cleaning and park it somewhere dry and clean until you find the time and means to get working on her. It would be a shame to strip the engine and sell the rolling chassis to someone like me who is almost debating another engine swap -shiftyeyes-

I'd say it depends on how bad the rust is. I bought my 74 02, basically a base model but had a nice little weber, spare trans, another set of wheels and tires, two spare doors, and a box of other parts for $1500 3 years ago out by Drumhellar and passed inspection like a champ. Mine was basically rust free due to a previous owner doing some body work shock towers in the back of mine must have been replaced at some point, aswell as a respray to a dark green instead of the factory hellblau. Interior was mostly there minus the shifter surround, and there was some choppy wiring but was perfectly fine for DD in summer.

That being said a legitimate Tii even in "mediocre" shape seems to be between 5-9000 here but due to the Alberta inflation where everyone tries to squeeze every cent out of a car i'd say its pretty good. To give you an idea, i've found a number of cars far worse off than mine over the last year going for mid 4's up to a crazy $12000 for one in the exact same shape as mine without factory wheels or anything so... Id say you got a deal especially with spare parts and a fresh engine. I'd say give it a good cleaning and park it somewhere dry and clean until you find the time and means to get working on her. It would be a shame to strip the engine and sell the rolling chassis to someone like me who is almost debating another engine swap -shiftyeyes-

(edited)

doublepost

Edited by 13

Some solid information gentlemen,

Saaron....that snorkel....totally agree withyou. Going to need to find out of that front clip has ever been replaced. I have the serial # from the body but not from the block....I will have to inspect further.

Ray_......can you tell me more about why you think its toast??

I have been in touch with the person who rebuilt the engine many years ago, he is the one who took off the entire fuel injection system and replaced it with a carb. So I can only assume its a legit tii unless something happened prior to him doing the engine. but he says that is the cars original engine.

The rockers are fairly bad....all the way through along the entire bottom pretty much....I am not independently wealthy unfortunately

I think im going to have the guy who rebuilt the engine to look at the car again and tell me what he thinks of it as it sits.

But any more info/opinions would be great

Body work takes twice as long and costs twice as much as you think it will . A restoration needs space to lie around in pieces. Go for it .

There's always more rust that you can't don't see at first glance. It's best to start with the most rust-free shell you can find IMO.

Of course if you are doing the body work yourself and have the time, go for it.

But you're better off spending a few grand on a rust-mostly-free shell and going from there.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

Body work takes twice as long and costs twice as much as you think it will . A restoration needs space to lie around in pieces. Go for it .

+ 200%  

(i.e., body work takes 4 times as long and four times as much as you think it will!)

Regards, Maurice.

$3000 parts car OR take a welding course, a body shop course, and strip the car down to bare metal.  Then you're ready to spend all your spare time getting the metal work back. Then there's paint.  And parts.  And refurbishing everything else. $$$$$.  You could spent the next 3 years working on your wedding gift and your bride to be will be long gone.

I'd have to say you should walk away.  I know it's hard, but don't let your obsessiveness ruin a perfectly potentially good marriage. :)  

FYI, it's the inner rockers that provide the car's structural, longitudinal strength.  The outer rockers provide some stiffening, but it's the inners that haul the trash.  They're visible inside the car as the vertical panel that rises from the floor pan up to the door sill.  Do some poking inside the car behind the carpet along this vertical panel; if it's seriously rusted, then the only thing holding the front and rear halves of the car together is the roof and transmission tunnel.  Not an ideal situation.

And +1 on verifying the engine number matching the chassis number.  IIRC '74 tii's (at least US spec cars) should have VINs and engine numbers that begin with 278...

cheers and good luck

mike