danco_

1969 Florida 1600 and 1972 Green 2002. A little something for everyone.

247 posts / 32552 viewsLast Reply

(edited)
I got other parts of the engine cleaned up in prep for the fan and radiator. Notice the newish waterpump also installed. 

dyG2JVd.jpg?1

And then I made another quick video after I got most things installed. The car is low on oil and the valves need adjusting. I think this is the chatter I hear. I will remedy these things tomorrow. Also, the cooling system doesn't want to pressurize. I threw the new three-core high-efficiency radiator and 400mm Tropical mechanical fan in. I ran the car for near 30 minutes but I can't get anything warmed up past 60ish degrees. The thermostat didn't open either. The two hoses to going through the firewall to the heater core were both warming up and the heater core was set to full heat. Still nothing. 

I'll get some more oil in the car tomorrow and go from there. Also, I need to chase and clean all the grounds. None of the gauges work except for the "L" gauge. The yellow/orange light flickered a few times, stayed on, then shut off and never came back on, not with the car on, or just ACC  power. I'm betting bad grounds. 

Here is that video. Disregard the fact that I filmed this with the phone right side up like a noob :

[

Now I'm wondering if there is a blockage of organic/inorganic material from contaminated coolant still in the block or heater core (or both). I'm actively looking at doing a full coolant system flush or an acid flush. If the waterpump was so badly compromised, then I can imagine that there are more sections of the cooling passages that have also experienced this blockage. 

Edited by danco_

(edited)

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open (if the heater core is good). Stuck closed would cause the engine to overheat, open won't allow it to get to operating temp.

Looks like the gun is set to celsius, so you're running mostly above 150 degrees which isn't that far off the 175-180 mark. You might also just be measuring some skewed values on the t-stat and rad hoses due to heat sinking into them from the stagnant air in an idling engine bay. 

Edited by jmanscotch

I'm going to do a cooling system flush and see if anything else comes out of the block. I will also check the old thermostat for correct temperature actuation. My guess is that unit is a lower temp unit (probably 71*C instead of the current 80*C unit in there now) and isn't getting hot enough for the thermostat to open. I've tested this thermostat in hot water on the stove and it did in fact work. 

Also worth noting, there was no real "flow" of coolant when I popped the radiator cap and looked inside. But maybe it only really flows when the thermostat is open as it's creating a complete circuit from radiator intake to outlet. 

I'll get to these things this week. Right now is rust-repair mode. I'll post pictures later tonight. 

Yes. I know you say this will be mild, but I can't wait to see where you take it.

Also, if you want to get rid of that tropical fan or swap it for a 2002 fan, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Yes. I know you say this will be mild, but I can't wait to see where you take it.

Also, if you want to get rid of that tropical fan or swap it for a 2002 fan, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike! 

What do you mean swap it? The small fan is original to the 1600. The larger fan is the tropical fan. I have since thrown it on and can be seen in the latest video. Are you saying that you would like it for your car? I may have another in my garage. 

I've also identified where the noise in the engine bay was coming from. Turns out on of the "fins" on the alternator are slightly bent. The alternator is the source of this clicking noise. I can swap that right out. 

Edited by danco_

Thanks Mike! 

What do you mean swap it? The small fan is original to the 1600. The larger fan is the tropical fan. I have since thrown it on and can be seen in the latest video. Are you saying that you would like it for your car? I may have another in my garage. 

I've also identified where the noise in the engine bay was coming from. Turns out on of the "fins" on the alternator are slightly bent. The alternator is the source of this clicking noise. I can swap that right out. 

Yeah. Was asking if you wanted to trade out (+$ on my end) for a 2002 fan if you were trying to split the size difference between a 1602 fan and a tropical fan - although as soon as I posted that I realized I haven't even checked clearance in my car, so it may all be moot anyway.

Yeah. Was asking if you wanted to trade out (+$ on my end) for a 2002 fan if you were trying to split the size difference between a 1602 fan and a tropical fan - although as soon as I posted that I realized I haven't even checked clearance in my car, so it may all be moot anyway.

Clearance shouldn't be an issue if you run the stock mech. fan. I don't think one is significantly wider than the other, so it should fit just fine on the waterpump. 

To give you a better idea, I am currently running a triple core radiator built by Hoffman Radiators in Orange, Ca. They do all of Jay Leno's radiators so they are highly regarded. They have done two radiators for me and both have been great. These radiators flow very well. They take a stock radiator and modify it for a high efficiency three-core. Everything improves. 

(edited)

Sweet! glad to see you in another 1600. I remember seeing a bunch of them headers on a pallet when i was at IE last week. good shit man

wish we could have gotten to meet up in huntington I had no idea thats where you lived. I was a block from the beach my whole trip

Edited by 2002mastermind

Sweet! glad to see you in another 1600. I remember seeing a bunch of them headers on a pallet when i was at IE last week. good shit man

wish we could have gotten to meet up in huntington I had no idea thats where you lived. I was a block from the beach my whole trip

Dude! That could have been cool.

What ever happened to Nate? Did he make it to a mental hospital? 

(edited)

Dude! That could have been cool.

What ever happened to Nate? Did he make it to a mental hospital?

To be honest no he didn't. Nebraska laws keep any of us helping him he has to help him self and he refuses to. Cops said he has to injure himself or someone else before they can do anything. I cut all ties with the dude until he's gotten help.

Going back to Huntington in the winter most likely. We will meet then.

Edited by 2002mastermind

To be honest no he didn't. Nebraska laws keep any of us helping him he has to help him self and he refuses to. Cops said he has to injure himself or someone else before they can do anything. I cut all ties with the dude until he's gotten help.

Going back to Huntington in the winter most likely. We will meet then.

I hope he get's back on his meds and he doesn't actually hurt people in order to receive help. Regardless of his situation, I look forward to meeting you and will take you out to catch some waves. Winter is fun in Huntington Beach.

Also, a sneak peak at another something special. This will be a light-hearted project. I have all the pieces to fix it. I probably won't start a thread on it, but I may sprinkle bits and pieces of her story within this story. Her name is Lola.

bKrEqNP.jpg?1

I hope he get's back on his meds and he doesn't actually hurt people in order to receive help. Regardless of his situation, I look forward to meeting you and will take you out to catch some waves. Winter is fun in Huntington Beach.

Also, a sneak peak at another something special. This will be a light-hearted project. I have all the pieces to fix it. I probably won't start a thread on it, but I may sprinkle bits and pieces of her story within this story. Her name is Lola.

bKrEqNP.jpg?1

Yessir! Can't wait for that time to come. I miss Cali already

bKrEqNP.jpg?1

Yessir! Can't wait for that time to come. I miss Cali already

Did you meet her in a club down in old Soho?

Lola?

The PO is a very nice lady...a professor at UC Berkeley. That's where the note was originally left on the car. I dated a girl who graduated from there. So. many. sorority. parties. God bless all those girls.