• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Florida 1600 and 1972 Green 2002. A little something for everyone.

danco_

keen to see those steelies fitted up at a nice height, non-period-correct-looking tires aside

The tires are no longer stock diameter being that they are 185/60r13 instead of the more-correct 185/70r13 tires. So even at a good ride height (which will be considerably low like my previous 1600), I'm not sure what good a side profile shot would do. But I like pictures so I'll take one anyways. I hope to have these wheels mounted up in the next two weeks. This car will live again. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Ray, I'm reporting you.

A few small updates.

The Florida car is in for paint this week. The paint will cure for a few days then my painter with cut/buff it for a good shine. Then I will begin putting it back together with all new rubber seals and gaskets. New windshield gaskets, door gaskets, window gaskets, trunk gasket, etc. It will be a nightmare but I'll get it done. 

I also received a box from Blunttech with fresh rotors, calipers, pads, bearings, SS brake lines, and other goodies. I'm awaiting a box from Ground Control for the new Suspension. All that will go on together as one. I also have new rubber bushings and control arms, etc. that will go on at the same time. Lots to do, so little time.

New interior is also done according to Abdu, so that will hopefully go in by the weekend as well. 

Engine bay: I think I want to run a simple 32/36 or 38/38 with 292 cam, while still retaining the stock, round air cleaner. I think that will look nice. I haven't decided whether I will do the battery location conversion under the rear bench seat. 

Soon.

Oh and I think I'll get this tranny in the 1600 as well. I'll have a 4.10LSD built specifically for this car. G245/LTW flywheel and 4.10 sounds fun with the 1.6L.

3hWp8uw.jpg?1

lqgTUV0.jpg?1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Oh and I think I'll get this tranny in the 1600 as well. I'll have a 4.10LSD built specifically for this car. G245/LTW flywheel and 4.10 sounds fun with the 1.6L.

3hWp8uw.jpg?1

lqgTUV0.jpg?1

I endorse this course of action.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 2 weeks later...
Minor developments on the Florida car.

These came in today. I jumped on the California Legacy Plates bandwagon and snagged a set with the characters F L O R I D A on them. No one will understand why except for real 02 guys.

21751280463_ce8020bfc4_b.jpg

And these also showed up yesterday which is nice. I think I'm going to put these in the Florida car after all. 

22343035925_22d77b69da_b.jpg

The original plan was to put the GC suspension on the Florida car. But then I decided that it won't be ready for SoCal Vintage due to painting and bodywork taking a week longer than it should have. Well, the SF green car won't be ready either (what I consider ready anyways), so I don't want to give it the GC suspension either. So now I'm back to the original plan. All the cool stuff goes on the Florida 1600. That's the way it was, that's the way it is, that's the way it will be. 

By some divine miracle, I may just be able to drive the Florida car to SoCal Vintage but I'm not putting too much hope in that happening. 

I should have some photo updates tomorrow. I think the trunk and engine bay is being sprayed today.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Today was a nice day. I focused all efforts on getting the coilovers and brakes ready for the Florida car. The engine bay and trunk was also sprayed today but I'll reserve judgement until I can make it there and see for myself. 

On to the brakes. I purchased new rotors, calipers, bearings/races, and SS brake lines in anticipation for a nice, clean set up. 

So I dug through the pile to find a set of hubs that would be used for the rebuild. I popped out all four bearings and races and cleaned them up with gasoline, brake cleaner, copper brushes and towels. 

HS6lmvX.jpg?1

Once cleaned, I pressed the new races in. Everything went smoothly. I always doubt myself on jobs like these. I tell myself that I am mechanically inclined to perform these tasks but I never feel like I can. But it usually turns out ok.

HP9WhiN.jpg?1

Then I hit them with a few coats of black engine-block paint to bring them to a uniform color and packed the bearings and inner hubs full of grease, followed by strut spindles. Then I assembled everything, including the new single-line calipers (because 1600). Everything went together smoothly and looks great. I'll probably install the 250mm rear drums on this car as well. I wish I could get the bbk behind the stock 13" steelies but that will never happen. I installed the calipers but never took the time to see if they are in the correct orientation. I'll figure that out next week. 

sOK3YxQ.jpg?1

I ordered all parts through blunttech but I never got grease caps. So I salvaged one cap from the bbk but I can't find the second. So that sucks. I need to order a new set.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

It was pointed out to me that I forgot the backing plates. So I need to pull these apart and install those.

I have a few sets already powdercoated so I'll rummage through the storage to dig them out. 

I should install those next week. 

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Worked on this car a little bit. Added euro turn signals and freshened up the stock wheels. I have two wheels that are widened but I may want to do something slightly different this time. I need to make this car low. It's so mechanically stock it hurts. But that's also kind of nice. 

21830340603_101f058ec7_b.jpg

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Green car is looking better and better.

I modified the suspension front and rear using my trusty angle grinder, spring compressors, and various other tools. In the front, I removed the spacer from below and added it above the inner fender, and removed 1.5 coils from the stock springs.

In the rear, I removed 1.5 coils and the 2-dot spring pad. I put vinyl tubing on the top exposed coil so there wouldn't be any metal on metal contact. The rear shocks are brand new Bilstein HDs. 

I don't expect this set up to last long, but I have another system in the works so I don't mind it for now. 

I also wired up the euro turn signals, and went ahead and redid the rear lights and housings. The light output is great now. The front lights suck but I think I have a fix for that too. Last major issue is a noise coming from the front right corner. It sounds like a slight grinding noise. Either a sticky caliper or perhaps a wheel bearing gone back. I'll diagnose and solve this week before socal vintage. So far things are good. 

I think I get the new interior tomorrow! 

QnIXZjw.jpg?1

I didn't realize I uploaded a photo with the US turn signal lights still in place. Oh well.

Dos mas:

s4Y05On.jpg?1

0wntPZN.jpg?1

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

GC suspension installed. I had a wild hair on my chin and just decided to do it. Install took about 2.5 hours in it's entirely. I don't like how short the rear spring is and the fact that it only stays in place under compression, so I called GC and sprung for their rear spring adjusters and new springs. This new system will keep the spring seated on the adjuster perch. I feel more at peace with a set up like that. I should be receiving it on monday.

I also installed the PC'd backing plates so all is well again. 

Then I drove to get the undercarriage and engine bay steam cleaned. I need to figure out what is howling in my driveline. I suspect the diff is howling but it could be the CSB or guibo as well. I'll confirm tomorrow morning. So far so good. Here are a few photos.

22399334390_45170aa75d_c.jpg

and 

21966098643_7b12086e2d_c.jpg

Next is interior. I'm hoping and praying for good news tonight.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Howling eh?

Well it is almost Halloween :)

You checked the diff lube right? Sometimes they howl for years. Sometimes shorter...

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Howling eh?

Well it is almost Halloween :)

You checked the diff lube right? Sometimes they howl for years. Sometimes shorter...

I checked today, yes. There was lube in the diff, but I've confirmed that the noise comes from the diff and not another part of the drivetrain. I'll probably replace it next week. Looking for a LSD if possible. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards