• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Florida 1600 and 1972 Green 2002. A little something for everyone.

danco_

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Keep it up Ryan?.  When will the 73 be painted? 

Should be completed in about a month! I'm just after some bodywork, respray (including engine bay, door jambs, trunk. This will be a glass-out respray. 

I'll monitor the whole process closely, to ensure quality is present and meets expectations.

I'm also deleting the DOT side markers, and pushing the bumpers in. I know there are two opinions on that, but I will still go through with it. 

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

Wait- what is the doodle-piece just ahead of the coil??

Beats me. That's how I got the car, looks like it has a reason to exist, and even has a bracket. I'll just leave it there and pretend like it has a purpose. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That can has just a single wire to the coil?

I may guess radio noise suppressor....

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 6/24/2016 at 9:06 PM, ray_ said:

That can has just a single wire to the coil?

I may guess radio noise suppressor....

I wonder if they have a programmable unit that suppresses passenger noise. Level 1-10 noise suppression, then a special level 11 when you ride in the car with me. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

1 hour ago, danco_ said:

I wonder if they have a programmable unit that suppresses passenger noise. Level 1-10 noise suppression, then a special level 11 when you ride in the car with me. 

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Decided to spend some intimate time with the 1600's motor today. 

So naturally, I stripped her down, scrubbed her, cursed at her, then gave her new parts.

First, new rear main seal (Thanks Andy!):
4gXtofA.jpg?1

bonus old subframe content. Reminds me of my ex girlfriend: 
v9V016H.jpg?1

Then I decided that the old oil pan was dumb, so I sanded another down with one of those air sander tools, then sprayed her down, and installed. You can see the old one on the motor in this photo.
sVX1RWW.jpg?1

While the old pan was off, I decided to poke around. Everything looks good in there. There seems to be substantial slack on the single-row timing chain, but I'll just pretend it's normal.

6aprBnL.jpg?1

C2x23pS.jpg?1

Fastfoward a few hours of cleaning, painting, polishing, installing all new seals and studs, and taking siiick instagram photos, we get here. There is still much to do, but I was happy with the amount of work completed today. 

Y2qNRLu.jpg?1

hqVbdcK.jpg?1

qP2qej3.jpg?1

Still debating on what do to with the rusty crank pulley. It bothers me now. 
I'll install the new 3-finger clutch kit (i have all the correct parts), the original transmission, probably install the intake and exhaust manifolds, and prep for mating the engine to the subframe, then to the chassis frame. Oh and a pretty valve cover. 

Soon.

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

17 hours ago, D.martijn said:

Great work on that engine! Looks very clean

You could paint the pully also black?

Yeah, I'll probably do that tomorrow.  As much as I don't want to, it is the path of least resistance.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

These bushings were such a butt to get on. But they are both on now. Still debating on cutting one of the tow hooks off, to simulate a standard 1600 subframe. 

thigns_.jpg

Also spent some time cleaning and assembling the new lights. Hella Super H4s from the FAQ group by a while back. Sealed beam on the left, Hella H4 on the right.

thigns_-2.jpg

I think I'll install the motor on Thursday. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

2 hours ago, arminyack said:

Get ride of that heavy cast crank pulley and put on one welded assemblies....no more balancing; and its lighter!

do it for me and ill pay you

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Clutch!

First, I got the flywheel resurfaced. It is so pretty. I laid it alongside the new clutch, PP, and throwout bearing. Oh and a new guibo.

engine clutch_.jpg

You can't tell, but the clutch is absolutely 200% toast. There is nothing left to grab on. It's perfectly smooth, and retains a sort of bamboo feel to it. I really like the pattern on the burnt out clutch. The clutch was the reason this car sat for 9 years. When I bought the car, it came with the new clutch kit, which was nice because they were NLA for many years. I believe Walloth Nesch carries them now. 

engine clutch_-3.jpg

Installed:

engine clutch_-2.jpg

New guibo. BMW wants over $200 for theirs. Andy tipped me off on a new unit for sale via Ebay. $14.99 before shipping. And guess what? It is an exact replica, with old and new unit made by JURID. 

engine clutch_-5.jpg

Old steering bushing vs new BMW bushing. 

engine clutch_-4.jpg

Then I threw the engine and trans together, added an s14 starter, threw the exhaust manifold and midpipe on, and called it a day. I may wait until after the 4th to install the motor. 

engine clutch_-6.jpg

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards