• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Florida 1600 and 1972 Green 2002. A little something for everyone.

danco_

Hi guys. I'll make this short and sweet. 

I had a little 1600 but then it was swiftly taken from in the form of a car accident. After about a month in bed and another 2 months taking it easy, I stumbled across another 1600 that is promising.

A 1969 (built in 68) 1600 in Florida Green on Tobacco. Numbers matching, unspoiled, but very dirty car. It has exterior rust issues that need addressing but I can do most of that myself.

This car will stay mostly stock. I'll probably update the rear end with a short neck 4.10 diff, subframe, and standard driveshaft, throw on a set of swaybars, lower her a bit (thinking IE stage 1/Bilstein HD) and calling it a day. I do intend on running the stock wheels, though widened another inch or two and keeping the hub-caps. This should make for a nice replacement. It will be my surf car. 

I bought it a few weeks ago but finally had a chance to bring it home last night:

dlLTcDc.jpg?1

I spent three or four hours washing the car, as this was the first wash in 7 years. 

3LmTipy.jpg?2

This wool wash mitt was brand new before I started. Now it's destroyed. It was a worthy death.

Fx2EOEZ.jpg?1

And look what I found in the trunk! New! 

ESAQCc9.jpg?1

I'll probably make a blog in the coming weeks, to keep track of progress. So far, I just want to get it cleaned up and running. Then onto the minor modifications (rear subframe, suspension, interior, etc.)

But yes, I'm stoked. It's time to relieve the m3 of surf duty.

EwCi3dW.jpg?1

1600. I like them.

D1dZKoi.jpg?1

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

This car will stay mostly stock. I'll probably update the rear end with a short neck 4.10 diff, subframe, and standard driveshaft, throw on a set of swaybars, lower her a bit (thinking IE stage 1/Bilstein HD) and calling it a day. I do intend on running the stock wheels, though widened another inch or two and keeping the hub-caps. This should make for a nice replacement. It will be my surf car. 

"Mostly stock".... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  doesn't sound very stock!!! 

2xM3

"Mostly stock".... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  doesn't sound very stock!!! 

Who am I kidding, this car will get bathed in lavish upgrades.

But the direction of this car is a nice cruiser. I won't put big brakes on it, I won't throw a reworked m10 or 5-speed in it. No fixed-back seats or cage. Just a simple 1.6l and 4-speed. The goal is a clean car. 

I'll introduce the Polaris car in the coming months. That will be the wild build. If I do that one right, it will have a turbo before 2016 is complete. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I see you have changed your signature (again).

The grills on the Florida car look very nice!  Subscribed...

Not sure if I know about the Polaris car.  My wife and I are overdue to a trip back to CA.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Glad to see you back at it so soon man. It still makes me cringe when reading through your build thread on r3v...excited to keep a lurking eye on this one too. Enjoy the journey yet again!

- Jake in CO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Jake

Current: 1975 2002 Automatic - 2010 Tacoma DCSB - 1997 Buell S3

Missed: 1967 1602 - 1973 Inka 02 - 1983 533i - 1995 325i - 2004 530i - 2004 X3 - 1999 R1100S - 2000 R1100RT - 2003 3.0 Z4 - 2004 325Ci - 2008 328Xi - 2009 135i - 1999 E36 M3 

I see you have changed your signature (again).

The grills on the Florida car look very nice!  Subscribed...

Not sure if I know about the Polaris car.  My wife and I are overdue to a trip back to CA.

I removed them and cleaned them up using soapy water and a plastic bristled brush. I also popped out a few dents in the center grille. It's not perfect, but I'll run it anyways. 

O45l0L2.jpg?1

Glad to see you back at it so soon man. It still makes me cringe when reading through your build thread on r3v...excited to keep a lurking eye on this one too. Enjoy the journey yet again!

- Jake in CO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jake! 

Lots of things are happening. This will be a very packed 2-3 months. 

I want this car on the road and dialed in. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Pictures of that IE collaboration have finally come to fruition. We initiated this project when I was a young boy with no facial hair: 

jQgCxFw.jpg?1

7puylvf.jpg?1

u0Nr3Fv.jpg?1

I bought an Eastwood Kit that allows me to ceramic coat these headers. I didn't read the instructions until today and it mentions that I need to have these sand blasted and then the coating has to be airbrushed on. Not very DIY friendly if you don't have a sandblaster or an airbrush system. Regardless, I will prevail.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Subscribed! I was sad to see what happened to your last 1600, but I'm ecstatic for you new 1600! Glad you're doing better! Those grills came out pretty nice and those headers!  :o How can I get a set for my '74!?!?

Looks like Andrew recently added them to the site and they are officially for sale! 

https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-exhaust/02triy.html

Those headers look awesome. Looking forward to seeing them on the car!

Not sure if they are too big for the 1600 engine? According to IE's website, the primaries are 1.5", 1.75" secondaries, into a 2" collector. Couple this to the Stainless steel roundie exhaust which is 2" all the way back... doesn't this seem too big for a little 1.6l engine pushing 85hp (when new)?

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Looks like quality work (no surprise) AlpinA tri-y knock-off.  Funny about the DIY eastwood stuff (or maybe not so funny, interesting).  Do you plan on port matching your exhaust port to the header?  I am guessing the header flanges are substantially larger than the exhaust ports on your head.  As they say, it goes because it flows....

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

Looks like quality work (no surprise) AlpinA tri-y knock-off.  Funny about the DIY eastwood stuff (or maybe not so funny, interesting).  Do you plan on port matching your exhaust port to the header?  I am guessing the header flanges are substantially larger than the exhaust ports on your head.  As they say, it goes because it flows....

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

Thanks Mark! I've decided I'd let the professionals take care of the ceramic coating. I have no expertise on coatings, and I only want to do it once. And as for port-matching, I don't think that is an option for me. With the 118 head, the exhaust ports should be much smaller than a 121 or later 2002/e21/e30 head. This new tri-Y header has much larger dimensions that the head. I will probably save it for another project.

Updates for today:  

First, I pulled all the spark plugs in preparation for some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder. This car hasn't been started in 3 years, and there is no promise that the engine is even good. The PO said the car ran fine when parked about 7 years ago, and would drive it around the block every year until about 3 years ago. I'll do all the basic maintenance stuff and try to get this engine started on Sunday. 

The dirtiest spark plug came from Cylinder 1, or the cylinder closest the distributor. 

hLRgKHM.jpg?1

Then I pulled the radiator. I'm going to throw a new waterpump and thermostat in there just because. I also changed the oil with Brad Penn 20w50 partial synthetic, and a bottle of "V8 Restore", something I used when I did the same exact process to the blue car. The V8 Restore was recommended to me by Jeff Tighe. I trust most of his judgement. 

qkV0lRr.jpg?1

Have you noticed how small the 1600 fan is compared to a 2002 fan or a tii/tropical fan? It can't be more than 300 mm in diameter, and it only has four blades instead of five. I'm debating cleaning it up and running it, or swapping to a brand new tropical fan I have laying around. 

Then I just kept cleaning more and more grease and build up. 

ggIXqw6.jpg?1

uzLE5Rj.jpg?1

Cleaned up the top-side of the engine while I was at it. Also noticed that I don't have a single-barrel solex like I had though. This is a Weber 34 IDH or something like that. And the head is a 118, which I'm guessing is the small valves and small exhaust ports, meaning I won't be running the new exhaust headers on this car. I'll have to think of another solution. Maybe aftermarket, maybe stock. Who knows what I'll want in a week.

M9Rgk3z.jpg?1

Bonus, VIN plate shot. This car also doesn't have a VIN plate on the dash piece above the steering wheel, like I've seen on other cars (or even my later 1600). This must be an early car thing.

i6J8nkF.jpg?1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Not 2002 related, but I swapped out my entire front suspension, and the tie rods on the m3 today. I even did the rear shocks and RSMs. Every part replaced was OEM with all OEM stuff. Feels good.

Some of the new parts:  

rVaZDuZ.jpg?1

aKJ8jVx.jpg?1

And a pile of the old parts: 

Q0Vqvj5.jpg?1

I'm so pooped.

And blue-car related: 

This car is getting torn apart soon. Time to assess what is still good and what is not. I intend to take the motor to Ken Blasko's shop and spin it on his engine stand. I should get a good idea if it's still any good. 

IQ9HSwS.jpg?1

But then I noticed this today. Not very happy about it at all. This was my favorite valve cover.

3BP7HtT.jpg?1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I was determined to to get the car started. I was scared that the pistons might be seized because the waterpump wasn't turning (belt was still on and tight), so I did what anyone would do: take a break and make some food and search the FAQ. I then wondered if the waterpump was seized. Seeing as how the radiator was out, I said "what the hell", let's get that out and inspect. 

So first, the fan comes off. Here is a comparison of the stock 1600 fan (on bottom) next to a new 400mm tropical fan. So wild to see the difference! 

t1FyfXG.jpg?1

And then off comes the water pump! My suspicions were confirmed. How does a waterpump get this bad? I'll never know. But luckily, I had a new waterpump ready to go sitting in the parts pile. 

vSAONU9.jpg?1

And with everything off, my good friend Jeff stopped by. He's really good with 02s and early 911s. Within 45 minutes, we had all new plugs gapped to .025, new wires, I happened to find a new cap and rotor, and we set the engine to TDC based on Cylinder 1. We had a 50% shot of getting it right since you can rotate it 180* and the car won't start. 

Well, that's exactly what happened. So we pulled the valve cover, confirmed that the we were wrong and again reset it to TDC based on Cylinder 1, where the rockers had a bit more slack than the others, buttoned everything back up, and on first click, the car fired to life. 

Here's a quick video. Disregard my commentary. I was so excited to see the car fire up that common sense completely escaped me in those moments. It wasn't until after the video was shot that I remembered that I didn't have a belt spinning the alternator because there was no waterpump installed. 

I'll get the cooling system back in and call it a day. Pretty excited overall. Stoked.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards