• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My NON Alpina Car on Ebay

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I want to apologize to everyone about my posting here and on ebay. I was incorrect about everything on the vehicle. The original owner of the car contacted me and here's the correct history of the vehicle:

I am the original owner and purchased the car from a US dealer in California prior to owning and improving the car for over 13 years. It was sold to a long time friend of mine who added the Ronal Wheels (non-Alpina) while owning the vehicle.

The vehicle had almost 200,000 documented miles on it at the time I sold it 20 years ago; it is being currently represented as having 68,000 miles on it. Vehicle was sold with 14 years of original receipts, which I was told were transferred to the current owner.

Comments on items described in the advertisement under Rarities, reflecting the item numbers:

1. The vehicle does not have an Alpina Motor – The motor only has an Alpina 300 degree cam and valve springs. It does have BMW 2002ti 9.3:1 pistons. Rods, crankshaft and head were stock items at the time I sold the car.

2. I installed the Alpina Air Box; it is a derivative of a 2000ti airbox. Manifolds are 2002ti; carbs are Weber 45DCOE19’s, not 15’s /16’s, but have been jetted correctly for street/track and have the proper and functional choke linkages and 38 mm throats. Linkage was developed by me from a BMW 2000ti dual Solex system.

3. Suspension is not an Alpina Suspension – I designed it with aftermarket parts – none are Alpina.

4. Ronal Wheels are non-Alpina, but did have Alpina decals on center caps

5. Close Ratio Steering Box is non-Alpina; I bought it from Hyde Park Motors in 1971 and installed it. This box was frequently installed by Alpina for owners, and has been rebuilt.

6. Oil Cooler and remote filter are of my design and fabrication; they are non-Alpina.

7. Electric fan setup (ditto to item #6).

8. Interior has an Alpina roll bar, gear shift knob, and steering wheel. All interior parts, including Recaro seats (with rear seat recovered to match fronts), gauges, etc. were installed by me and were non-Alpina.

9. Roll Bar is Alpina, and was installed by me. Car also had a 25-gallon Alpina Touring Gas Tank early on, but after driving 500 miles virtually without stopping and having a pair of seriously messed-up kidneys as a result, thereafter reverted to a stock tank.

10. Getrag close ratio 5-speed was installed by me. Shift Linkage was reworked to be more ergonometric ally accommodating.

11. Four wheel disc brake setup was designed, fabricated, and installed by me. It consists of a 2002tii front brake setup, with BMW 323i rear drilled solid discs and Porsche 914 modified rear calipers. The system approximates an Alpina 2002 race setup (in which Alpina used Porsche 914 GT Rear brakes), but is non-Alpina.

12. Trunk Spoiler is non-Alpina

Under Please Read This of the clarification section of the advertisement, none of the items mentioned as being factory installed were factory installed; I purchased and installed them. The letter represented as a factory installation was a letter that I passed along with paperwork documentation to the next owner from prior to owning the car, when I had simply inquired to Alpina regarding buying a car through them, which I did not.

I greatly enjoyed owning and modifying this car from a box-stock 1970 2002 US-spec car. It was originally a problem getting smogged in California, so I embossed the “ti” letters after the 2002 on the Factor Nameplate, and never had another problem. During my ownership, I rebuilt the engine, 5-speed c/r trans (which came out of a Hyde Park Motors race car), and the close ratio gear box.

As a BMW2002, it approximates a fully sorted-out 2002, but is not an Alpina modified or badged car.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

where is that long range tank? i claim first dibs!!!! plz cntact: i have been looking for one for a long time. did your car sell? it should have- hell of a lot of great mods. most enthusuasts know/would know that it was not a complete alpina, so few really are. but your build sheet description is impressive to me and i pay attention to this stuff. i know how much it all costs and that is/was a nicely sorted car. hope it went to a good home. now about that kidney crusher tank....

Guest Anonymous

I have the tank. It's not practical by any stretch of the imagination. It requires a seperate fill in the drunk and fits in the spare tyre well. I shall try to post some photos. Unfortunately though, all parts stay with the car.