Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Re-Carpeting Time: A Question

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

OK, I have new seats and a new carpet (sorry Al, bought before I heard of your sets). Also, I've

bought a pad to go down under the carpet.

My question is this: Should I mess about

trying to remove the tarlike substance BMW putdown

on the floorboards. Should I just go forward gluing

down the under-carpet pad and beginning the work from

there?

Any suggestions? I've seen posts from folks trying to scrape that stuff up, remove it with dry ice, etc...but I'm left wondering if it really, should it just be left there and the carpet and all placed right on over the top of it? That is, why go through the effort of removing?

Jerry

Guest Anonymous

and see if there is water staining on the firewall. If it is clean then the heater seam probably has not leaked. If you look at the contour of the floor pan it will be obvious where water might pool, if present at one time or another. Better to check it early while you may sstill have good metal to patch the floor rather than having to replace the whole pan

Guest Anonymous

recommend some 7/16 or 1/2 inch home carpet padding under your new carpets. If you can find it, use the waffle style padding is it will dry out quickly if it gets wet. If not available, use "rebond"--it's made from scraps of foam all chopped up and glued back together. It doesn't hold moisture so won't serve as a sponge under your carpet. I have always left my floorboard carpet loose, as it will stay in place with little or no glue, and it's much easier to remove for cleaning, rust inspection etc. The vertical pieces will have to be glued of course.

Cheers

Mike