Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Out with injection. In with carbs. Damn.

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

This summer, I could only run at a limited number of events because several vintage club did not allow my car to run in their group because of my electronic injection. Hmmm.. At some other events I still managed to run in regional production groups and kicked some ass.

Anyway, I will possibly put my injection system in a box and move back to a set of 45mm Weber DCOEs 15/16.

I already have several sets of manifold. Anyone has a spare set of 45s in good shape?

Guest Anonymous

Jeff Hecox of Dinan engineering fame who has a really niced ALPINA liveried 1600ti had a sweet Schrick slide throttle Kugel injection system on his car running in the Trans Am 2.5 challenge. It is a fact that the BMW factory was running this same type injection in 1969 and was homologated for racing use. All the freakin ALPHA gtv complainers finally wore him down about it not being legal bla, bla, bla. He took it off (put it in a box) and put 48mm Webers on the car. He claims the car is even faster given the courses he is on (not as cool, but faster) and he is still kicking their asses! I love it when I hear stories like this especially when racing like this is allegedly being done for "fun"

Guest Anonymous

And I managed to be 7 seconds faster a lap...

Guest Anonymous

Some of the vintage folks take things a little too far I think. Different ends of the spectrum--I think folks that have cars done in the spirit so to speak should be allowed to run. Or you could be Steve Earl "esque" and say if it isnt a "papered" Alpha GTA your not running. Alpha Gtv's (Like 99% of the Alpha's that run) that are GTA wanna bee's don't cut it--pretty extreme, but that is the way it is. Same lesson could be applied to BMW and Porsche, which I don't necessarily agree with. (Maybe for some of the higher end events like Monterey and Sears Point etc.,)

Guest Anonymous

I started Vintage/Historic racing this year and I thought it was all about having fun with old cars. Reality was very different. In fact, vintage racers are mostly owners/collectors of old cars who put anal values like originality in the forefront. Racing and having fun (which is what the so-called spirit is supposed to be) is secondary. They did not realized that we are not on a track to speak about car collectibilty, but to race the hell of them...

It was a big deception. Especially that, at least up North, the Vintage racers are for most of them above 60 year old and very Old Guard.

Guest Anonymous

several people down here in autox and historic racing are very anal retentive.. many will go around with manuals on other guys cars trying to spot an error to up their overall finishing position.. it's really gay.. at one of the south florida autox's I had a guy come and go.. "you know I should protest you for the fun of it because u can't run in FSP without a front bumper" he wasn't even in my class.. what a turd.. I told him to (oops) off and he just went off grumbling to himself... it's racing... get over it.. if someone is going 7 seconds a lap faster.. it's either cause they spent more money than you.. or they're a better driver... so focus on your shit and run your own race...

Guest Anonymous

Most vintage racing I see is "How much $ I can dump into this car to make it fast... money being no object".

Vintage racing means following the rules... to race a vintage vehicle with components or similar components that were available during the time frame the car was originally tracked.... originality IS important to making the cars competetive with each other within their respective classes.

I can understand why most would not want your "modern" fuel injected car on the track competing against them. For one it breaks the spirit of what they're trying to accomplish... to race and OLD car similar to how it was done originally....... not make an old car as fast as possible with modern technology. I don't think your 2002 would fit into any of the classes around here with efi on it.

WH

Guest Anonymous

old cars. The historic events are all about being historic and the cars in their original livery. If it is a big event like Monterey where the cars are up in the millions of dollars and just as they were when they raced some 40 50 years ago then I think that EFI is pushing it a bit. If you are at a small event i dont feel that it is necessary to put on carbs. I think it is all about venue but I dont agree with what they have forced you to do.

Just my opinion for what its worth

Eric

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

i will be "brokering" actually just posting pics for my friend who will have complete and i mean complete, not partial like we see on ebay , complete A4 system with alpina flowed pump w/ 37 k total miles on system for sale soon. email me off bd, if you can go that way. it was homolugated correctly, and is in true spirit of vintage racing- hell that is why alpina made them: tis needed to go faster! set up will be 4-5k complete with air box. owner not ready to sell yet: cleaning it all up for pics- i make zero on it: just want it to go to correct home( like adoption of special car). this is the first compete a4 system i have seen for sale yet with a corect pump and box and linkage.

Guest Anonymous

NSU TTS (1 liter, 4xAMAL carbs) protest my 750cc 4CV Renault (I beat him badly) because "a 4CV can't be that fast". when I asked him if his TTS was a real TTS or if he had built it up to be one, he quickly shut up. His was a wannabe, not from the factory. Takes all kinds I guess...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Just checked my Tii FIA papers, appendix J and supplements and didn't find any reference to Alpina A-4 induction. Not during '71-'74 and NOT in Group I NOR in Group II. When and where was it an "approved modification"?

Guest Anonymous

16-3757063.JPG

..then the car such equipped should be accepted in a Vintage race. The equipment was available at the time, so it it should be legal now.

Wasn't the 1969 ETCC won by a 2002 with turbokompressor and injection?

I am pretty sure that some Alfas had competition versions of the Spica system too.

Guest Anonymous

I think you may have an uphill battle trying to use the Alpina A4 setup. The tii wasn't delivered here till 1972 so it wouldn't make the cutoff dates being most vintage sanctioning bodies use 1969 or earlier. Having a one off BMW fuel injected 2002 race car in europe in 1969 probably won't let you bypass the rule book UNLESS you can prove your car is the car that was fitted that way in 1969!

As for the Alfa setup. I believe there were factory production spica injected Alfas in 1969 in the USA so that might be considered legal.

Good luck! But I think you're stuck with carbs.....

BTW do they let you run those big brakes in vintage? Here they would be illegal... being you must use the stock brakes OR a competition option that was available at the time.

But then again I see many local vintage cars that are "somewhat" illegal if you take the rule book in hand and inspect them closely....

WH