Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

1600-2 brake calipers? home or away?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Is there anybody that rebuilds them or is it a do it yourself kinda thing? Where might I find either one? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Bimmer Parts Company, in Pottstown, Pa. (partsbmw.com; 800-274-2466) has them for $75.00, send in your old ones when you have the rebuilt ones on and get the core deposit back, they come "preloaded" so there are pads also included. Usually, any 2002 parts supplier will have them.

Tim

'74 2002

'69 2000

Guest Anonymous

I recommend sending them to Carl Nelson at LaJolla. Only guy I trust to rebuild my calipers.

Guest Anonymous

thats the answer I wanted to hear. Is that 75 a side?? prolly. I have only 1 thats leaking, should I do both at the same time or does that matter?

Guest Anonymous

And really, caliper rebuilding is simple, kits are like $20... Unless the bore is seriously f'd up it's easy to clean them up and put in new seals. Fronts for a 1602 would take a couple hours. The $100+ you save could buy a strut brace, a better alt, SS brake lines...

Guest Anonymous

after you send your old one(s) in to wherever you buy the rebuilt ones, the caliper(s) will actually cost something like $50.00 each. I've never rebuilt a caliper so I've just bought them rebuilt., good idea to buy them as a pair, if your other side goes you're all set. If you are out west, Carl Nelson, like Neil mentioned, is a great guy to work with, he's in La Jolla, Ca., at 800-466-8184 or carl@bimmerdoc.com, another good choice would be to call Maximillian Importing at 800-950-2002, they are in Maryland, I've bought parts from all of these places but since 1985 the majority of my 2002 parts come from Bimmer Parts Company.

Tim.

Guest Anonymous

Its not like I can drive anywhere, other than BMP, for parts and thats a 2 hour drive. If it was a 4 piston set up, I have a parts car that I could rob off but these 1600-2, 2 piston ones are a pain. Thanks for your ideas,I will look into it.

Guest Anonymous

with a late 60's vintage Opel. E-mail me off-line and I'll try to find the reference...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Or, I believe there is a parts interchanges with one series of the US 320i that bolts to the 1600 struts and has a single inlet line. Do a search of the archives.