Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

fell into a time capsule!!!

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=20071344705&page=1&sort_order=0

my insurance agent called me this morning to tell me that one of his clients has a 1971 bmw with vin #2571502 - it was her husband's pride and joy before he passed and she would like to sell it - it was intended for their grandson - but he has no interest in the car - they had insured it on and off over the last 30 or so years and they bought it new - and get this it only has 19,000 miles!!!- he gave her my name and suggested that she call me...shortly before i was leaving for lunch she called and instead of going home for peanut butter and jelly (my staple) i went to see the car (about 20 miles from my hometown)

i could not believe my eyes - the car is perfect!!! interior and exterior - it had not run in a year or so since its owner had passed - but it started with minimal effort!!!

i have no idea what it is worth and quite honestly i am not terribly interested in a stock, original '02 - i told her that i would help her sell it but have no idea what the car is worth

unfortunately the couple's son was told the car is worth 25k - i do not know who told him that or how much alcohol was involved - but i already suggested that amount was unrealistic

check out the photos and let me know what you think - the car may be formally listed for sale in the near future and if it is ok with the owner i will post here first

the car is currently not insured so i could not drive it - but everything seems to function just fine - it still has all emissions equipment on and apparently functioning - and i swear to you there is not even a scintilla of rust

bob

Guest Anonymous

BTW: Bob sneaked me the pics in chat...

all I can say is..........wowowowowowowowowowow.....HOLY SHIT!!!.... to nice.....I am not worthy.......to nice........

Guest Anonymous

for the right buyer... stock sux

Guest Anonymous

That's clearly an early car, but the VIN should be 167XXXX; 257XXXX numbers started in mid-'71 model year with the rubber-strip bumpers, lower moldings, etc. At least I THINK so...

-Dave

Colorado early '71, 1678338

Guest Anonymous

...difference of opinion there.

Perhaps a tad of tweaking is required.

(.i.e. removing the smog stuff)

But, I like a car as it was originally

designed and engineered. Period.

I wish I had found this one....

Jerry

Guest Anonymous

i do like a lot of the upgrades though also, using it for a DD. . .

recaros, bigger rad . . . and i like my stiffer suspension too, got a thing for panasports but you have to love the originality

Guest Anonymous

The 257xxxx VIN indicates a "modell 71" that should have the lower trim moulding, long rear bumper tips etc but it doesn't. Wonder what the story is...It is VERY original, tho--down to the blue tape stripe on the windshield wiper motor, the orignal black Bosch coil and the trapezoid rearview mirror. Looks almost exactly like the pictures of my Nevada '69 right after I bought it new minus the sunroof. Hard to place a value on it but it's not worth $25k or even half that.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

2002" at any O'fest you attend (sorry, Mike).....

That car's so original, it would be a pity to see it get modified or put into full time daily driver service - time capsule cars like that don't show up very often, and provide a valuable reference point for what's truly original and correct.