• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

garage space heater

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a ton of projects to get done on my 2002 this winter,

and it looks like its going to start getting cold soon here in

Rochester. Any of you Northerners work on you cars in an

unheated garage during the winter? I'm looking to buy a

portable space heater, and could use a recommendation for

BTU's (they seem to range from 9,000 to 70,000). I'm just

looking to keep relatively warm in the area where I'm

working, not to heat the entire garage. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian

'76 M2002 (mostly mobile)

Guest Anonymous

and it doest a great job of heating a 22x22 garage with a 10 foot ceiling. Main drawback: open flame means no messing with anything that has flammable fumes--like gas, spray painting, paint stripping etc. You'd have to observe the same caveats with propane or natural gas heaters too.

If you have natural gas piped into your house already, there's an outfit called "Hot Dawg" that makes home-sized natural gas heaters that hang from the ceiling--a smaller version of what you see in auto repair shops. Permanent installation and up near the ceiling so vapors can't reach it. They may make 'em to work on propane or LNG, altho I don't know this for sure.

Happiness is a warm garage!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Radiant floor which has an on demand elec heater, electric baseboard, and a big old forced air unit that was purchased at a garage sale. The radiant floor heat is great because it heats up the floor that you are working on. The elec baseboard keeps the "office" area warm and the forced air is for rapid defrosting when it's -20F. The electric heat works out great it runs on an interruptable supply throught the local power Co-Op at really cheap rates.

The forced air was converted to propane and is extremely expensive to run -about $20hr!

Get the biggest heater you can. Brrr. 9 Degrees this morning!

Guest Anonymous

And I'm in the SF bay area. Just remember what Mark Twain said.

I have one of those ceramic heaters, but it kept blowing a fuse on the house panel. I may have discovered another circuit in the garage that is on a breaker- I may be in luck this winter.

Guest Anonymous

www.rinnai.us....Drum roll please. These are the best heating product I've ever worked with in over 35 yrs in the business. Sealed combustion (very important), direct vent, efficient. Easy install. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Have one in my garage and works great!