Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Engine rebuild questions?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

i bluw the egine on monday or "thru a rod", what does that actually mean? how do i know if i can rebuild the old block or not? i did not put a whole in the block and there was not any oil in the water or vise versa. the car will start but a very noticable knock can be heard. also what are some of the new parts i will be needing? bummin in the southwest

7AO

'71 on the blink

Guest Anonymous

That usually means throwing a rod thru the crankcase and seeing the innards from the outside. Is it what happened or have you only spun a bearing?

In the later case, it could be as easy as flushing the bottom from its oil and replacing all bearings or it can be as involved as having to change/turn the crankshaft because it is scratched and/or reboring the cranshafty journals on the block. In the later case, you may have to change the block for a virgin one.

Give more details as there is a world of possibilities (as they say)...

Guest Anonymous

and i have not been able to take a look at the crank yet. this is what happened, i was going down hill and decided to coast in nuetral at about 70mph, after a few seconds at1500rpm's i put it back in gear and the rpms jumped up to 4500rpms in a heart beat. stupid i know now. 20 miles later i was sitting on the side of the road, thanks for the input.

frank

Guest Anonymous

Like Lee said. The knocking comes from one of the bearing halves spinning in the journal and overlapping the other bearing half. This creates an excess amount of space around the journal and the rod bangs, or knocks, back and forth on it. 2002 cranks are usually fixable after a spun bearing, but a machine shop can tell you for sure once its apart.

Dan