• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mahle vs JE Pistons

Stuart

Did a search and did not find anything.  The plan is a street motor with 10:1, 40s, Shrick 292, Stahl header and MSD 6A.  Have not decided on the distributor yet.  Not a DD.  Weekend drives only.

So my question:  Mahle vs JE forged pistons?   

Thanks,

Stuart

Subscribed

I'm about to embark on a similar build and trying to decide myself. Street engine 9.5:1 cr, 38/38 or 40s, Schrick 292, header, IE distributor

1969 2002 Colorado

1970 2002 Agave

1974 2002 sold back in the 80's

Nothing at all wrong with Mahle pistons. I have them in my motor which is similar to yours (300 cam, headers, Megasquirt). Supposedly they are the 10:1 Euro blah, blah pistons everyone is on about, but I have not measured the actual compression ratio.

If you were going forced induction or racing, I would say forged might be worth it. But for a street car, cast is fine.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

There are a number here more qualified than I to comment on specific details.  It isn't an accident that BmW, Porsche, AlpinA, Mercedes (? not sure about them), have been using Mahle pistons in their cars for a long (long) time.   I had to replace a nearly brand new set of Mahle race pistons in my AlpinA/Schnitzer twin cam engine that someone had "modified", my engine guy told me that in his opinion that Mahle is still the best (based on a whole bunch of criteria I don't recall now) but that some of the others were a very close 2nd.....and significantly less expensive.  CP pistons are his piston of choice and what we are putting back into my motor.  This is one of them - which is now finished.  You can't go wrong with either I don't think, Mahle, JE, CP.....they are all very good.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2013/12/alpina-gr-2-engine-piston-set.html

post-38814-0-46731500-1432863699_thumb.j

I've run Mahle piano-tops in my last 3 motors -- very happy with them.  I also wouldn't hesitate to run a custom piston from one of the aforementioned mfgrs - but I've never had the need since I could find the Mahles I wanted.  Currently running the Mahle 9.5:1s in 1mm oversize with 304 Schrick, DCOEs (36 chokes), vintage 4:2:1 headers, tii dizzy w/PerTronix, and MSD6A/MSD Blaster2, etc.  It's kinda fun  :ph34r:

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

If a stock piston is available in the compression ratio you want, use that if it's cheaper.

If not, then it's time for custom.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Stuart,

What fuel will you run with the 10:1? Lots of us use 9.3 and 9.5 as a CR so we can use premium gas, straight from the pump, without pre-detonation concerns.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you for all the feedback. Mahles come forged and cast. The cast versions I understand to be the OE pistons in a stock 02, correct? 

Every indication I have so far is that all are good choices.  So at this point it comes down to price and availability.  Sticking with 10:1.

Mahle Cast/OE - Looks like $900ish and hard to get

Mahle Forged - Not hard to find - Not sure on price

JE Forged - Available, about $650

CP Forged - Have not looked into yet

Any price input for Mahle & CP forged would be great.

Its a journey.

Stuart

I'm going to put in a plug for Ireland's pistons here.  Probably not the right choice for really high-end builds, but for your average street rebuild it's really hard to beat the price.  I run them with a 284 cam (cause I like getting good passing torque down in the 3k range and rarely run the car all the way up to the 6k area) and they've been performing wonderfully, and <$500!

-Carl

I'm going to put in a plug for Ireland's pistons here. Probably not the right choice for really high-end builds, but for your average street rebuild it's really hard to beat the price. I run them with a 284 cam (cause I like getting good passing torque down in the 3k range and rarely run the car all the way up to the 6k area) and they've been performing wonderfully, and <$500!

-Carl

I am between the 284 and 292 Schrick and welcome any input. I'm also leaning more towards a Weber 38 at this point. Any more thoughts on the IE cast pistons? My target will be 9.5:1 cr and use 93 octane pump gas. I will be using this car as a daily driver for a 30 mile round trip commute mostly at 65mph cruising with some city driving. I will be pulling the head off next weekend to inspect and perform some basic measurements.

My other 02 is basically stock with a Weber 32/36 and IE distributor. It is tuned and dialed in. I'm looking for a bit more performance with this one, but stiil want something tame and with acceptable fuel economy. Thank you for any input gentlemen!

Edited by thevilla

1969 2002 Colorado

1970 2002 Agave

1974 2002 sold back in the 80's

First, the disclaimer - I have never built a motor, though I did a great deal of digging as part of Sputter's build.  Sputter's motor (a tii) was built by Top End Performance.  For the build, Steve used custom JE forged pistons with a 9.8 compression.

Next, the thoughts:

• Depending on how many times your motor has been rebuilt, and the block decked/head shaved, you may not know exactly what compression a "9.5' piston will give you.  I asked Steve about that, and he indicated that he measures the actual head volume.
  • Also, there are a number of designs that get the extra compression, and based on the research on ignition I did, some are better than others at propagating ignition.

I would buy bits from Steve again if I were to do a build.

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)