Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Question about engine stand in Jay's post below:

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

Is that just sitting the engine on the flange around the edge of the oilpan? Do you happen to know the measurement of the width between the two support bars, and the depth of the oilpan below that flange?

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

that "stand" is the transport surrounding that metric Mechanic uses to deliver and receive M10 engines. It bolts right to the "stand" which was specially made to protect the engine for truck trasnport and for pallet removal. We had to lift it out , straight up, with the engine hoist, and then transfer it to an real engine stand for work. Sorry- i was not paying attention to questions about that. If you want to make one, you could call Jim Rowe at Metric Mechanic and ask for dimensions and weld one up. It was a really cool design and you just slip a cardboard box that fits exactly over it and lift it back onto truck for trasnsport. It would not make a good "engine stand" for assembling an engine, though.

Guest Anonymous

enginetray.gif

I'm transporting an engine to get rebuilt and back in the back of my sister's SUV, and I was going to build a sort of tray that the engine would sit in, so it would be less likely to tip sideways. What I need to figure out is the dimensions a, b, and c in this diagram. Also, how did it bolt to the frame? The engine would sit in the center section of the tray.

I know I could do this using tie downs and an old tire, but I'm aiming for something that won't have me nervous the whole way back with a freshly rebuilt engine.

Guest Anonymous

from Home Depot or a motorcycle shop (used for tying a m/c down to a trailer) and run them side to side over the the valve cover.

I built something very similar using a design that was posted on the board a year ago that worked great when my engine was transported to and from the shop that rebuilt it - mine has industrial casters on the bottom so it can be rolled around the garage.

I'll post the engine opening dimensions when I get home....

Guest Anonymous

I built a box from 2x8s that fit closely around the oil pan with a notch for the drain bolt. This was screwed onto the pallet from underneath with deck screws. Add eye bolts and ratchet tie downs over the valve cover and it can go anywhere.

For the "covering", I fastened 2 short 2x4s to the pallet. Then you fasten a large box upside down to the 2x4s by pinching the box sides between the 2x4s and a block of wood on each side. Fasten a heavy cardboard box to the unused part of the pallet to contain your distributor, alternator, or whatever else you want to ship with the engine and you're good to go.

All the credit for the technology used to implement this high-tech shipping method goes to Jack Fahuna.