Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Stalling issue update

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Based on the advice of several here, I had the chance to play around a little more with my stalling issue. The 32/36 Weber carb seems to be working okay. As the car warms up the linkages seem to be working fine, allowing more airflow. The problem is that I need to keep giving it gas to stay running. Once I let off the gas(in an attempt to idle), it will die out, and then it will not start again. Just looking at the fuel filter before the carb, it appears to be unclogged and have the same amount of fuel. Is this an indication that the fuel pump is dying/dead? Someone also suggested that maybe the pickup filter in the tank is clogged. How can I look at that to check it? Does the brass cap on the tank thread out? I don't need to remove the entire gas tank from the trunk, do I?

Help

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

yes, fuel tank pick up just unscrews, no need to remove tank. Also on the carb,where the fuel line connects, near that point is a large brass bolt head. Unscrew that & clean out the filter in there. Clean that first before cleaning the fuel tank pickup.

Guest Anonymous

So there are three filters in my setup:

fuel pickup;

inline between fuelpump and carb;

and one within the car?

Is this last one you mention obvious to see once I remove the large brass screw?

Chuck

(Idiot who wants to try as much himself before turning it over to the professionals--read as "cheap")

Guest Anonymous

It really is beginning to sound like a timing issue. Have dealt with this one plenty of times. They may have adjusted timing by ear instead of by light and it could be waaaaaay off.

Guest Anonymous

is the technical name for the filter in the carb known as the "strainer"?

Guest Anonymous

Ultimately, it was the timing, but I tried every damn other thing first, including cap, roter, condensor, wires, fuel filters, vacuum leaks - the works. Turned out the distributor was installed 1/4 turn off by the previous owner - can't believe it ran at all.

Make sure you do clean the screen in the bottom of the fuel pickup in the tank, and the filter inside the pump. Also make sure that little wire attached to the condensor isn't chaffed (ask me how I know that).

Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

it may have been off somewhat beforehand. The stalling problem started about two months ago (car is only driven every other weekend or so)on a rainy day. Not having a timing light or the know-how to adjust timing myself, I thought I would exhaust all of the things I could do myself before taking it for professional help. I was hoping to get the car to be able to limp about one hour to where I store it for the winter and deal with the problem in spring. As it stands now, I can barely get it out of my neighborhood!

I will check/clean the following filters:

strainer in carb;

inline filter between pump and carb;

filter in pump;

fuel pickup filter in tank.

Maybe I will drain the tank as much as possible and fill with premium??Any ideas on how to determine if the fuel pump is the issue, if the filters are clean?

Any other suggestions??

Guest Anonymous

Get a light and do it right, or take it to a pro. I very highly doubt it is your carb or the fuel system at this point.