Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Could somebody with an 89-91 325i help me out?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I've been working on an M20 swap for quite some time... I have been trying to get the engine to start for the past month. I've pretty much ruled out everything but my ECU, so I think it might be bad. New ECUs are kind of expensive (been quoted $150 a couple of times), so I would like to verify that it's bad before I buy another one. I took the ECU apart and it has some corrosion inside on one corner of the board. I cleaned it off and reheated all of the solder joints very carefully but that didn't have an effect. It puts 12v to the injector like it should, but it never pulses the injectors and it doesn't spark.

If somebody has an 89-91 325i (with a 173 ECU), could I send you my ECU so you can plug it into your car and see if it runs? I hope it's not too much to ask, but I'm out of ideas... and i don't know anybody with a 325. It should not damage the car if the ECU is bad. I would glady pay all shipping costs and whatnot.

Thank you very much. I wouldn't ask if I had any other options. Also, if somebody knows a cheap place to get an ECU (like under $50), I would just buy a new one and forget about it.

-Ben Moss

Guest Anonymous

I'll plug it into my personal '89 4 door. But first, and not to insult your intelligence, do you have bat. voltage to pins 18 & 37 at the DME? Do you have continuity to ground at pins 2, 14, and 24 of DME? Please let me know. The injectors and ignition coil all receive their voltage from the main relay so I still think the computer could be sleeping. Let me know.