Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

handbrake

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I saw a site that offered a GizMo to tighten up the throw on 2002 handbrake. Anyone remember where it is? Anyone tried it? Any feedback? Thanks...

Guest Anonymous

If the gizmo puts a kink in the cable to shorten it, I'd be leery of using it as the cable will eventually snap at the kink.

A quick and dirty way to "shorten" the cable is to remove the 10mm nuts from the adjustment end of the cable (under the handbrake boot) and slip a short piece of rigid tubing (preferably steel) over the threaded end, then reinstall the washer and two nuts. That'll give you more threads to make the handbrake adjust properly--on the 4th-5th click.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

It's supposed ot get rid of the side-to-side wobble of the old handbrake lever.

Guest Anonymous

I just took my cables and handbrake out. The new cables are in a bag marked for 2002 but the end that attaches to the brakes is too long and different than what I took out. I was replacing the rear brakes so decided to do the cables too. The button came out of the handbrake and I can't get the brake end of the cables to fit properly so I am sorry I even got into replacing these. They were difficult to get out.

Guest Anonymous

... is the handbrake lever with a sleeved pivot bolt from another model -- E21 320i, I think. Buy a new one, or select a used one carefully.

Guest Anonymous

appearance? Don't want to compromise stock appearance, altho the 02 levers wobbled when they were new!

Mike