Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Mike, thanks for fixing the light, let's do the clutch next

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Yup, you guessed it. The clutch decided to come apart on my drive home. I was about halfway home when the clutch wasn't fully disenguaging (sp?). Something else must have come apart shortly after, because now I can't depress the pedal more than an inch or two. Got a refresher course in rev-matching my shifts. A real pain with no tach and an engine that runs like crap and won't hold the revs steady. Some gnashing of gear teeth and one restart on the starter motor and we made it home. I guess I wasn't too bad with my shifting because the little guy fell asleep and didn't wake up until after we were home.

Thanks again for sorting out the front marker light! Let me know what time you want me there to do the clutch next weekend. ;)

Karl

'70 1600-2 testing its new caretaker

Guest Anonymous

1600s have mechanical linkages and old worn ones come apart. There are a number of 1600 owners on the board who should be able to diagnose clutch linkage woes. I know there's an aluminum casting that wears badly and allows the actuator rod to come loose...hope that's your problem, not the clutch itself.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I thought about the linkage and I'll check that first. But I did hear what sounded like pieces of clutch rattling around down there at one point. I'll keep my fingers crossed that its the lingage, but I'm not very hopeful.

I hope you got your mirror sorted out successfully.

Karl

Guest Anonymous

tapered the set screw a bit. It'll stay on now.

Mike