• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual Valve Springs. Schrick? I.E.? VAC Motorsports?

70deluxe

Putting together a stroker engine that will run with a 316 camshaft, among other things.  Can anyone weigh in with personal experience regarding the options below?  Not wanting to cut corners but also trying to save a little here and there where I can.  Have always been pleased with IE products.  Know that Schrick is no slouch.  Don't know much about VAC.

Thanks.

Schrick Racing Valve Springs  $330

Made to sustain very high spring pressures, very high cam lift, and extended high RPM. Will maintain original tension four or five times longer than any other spring that we tested for BMW engines. Use with titanium retainers, sold each. 

P/N 11341028 (inner and outer set, each)

http://www.kormanautoworks.com/e21.htm

IE Dual Valve Springs Race $130

Performance and racing.  Nearly all agree that dual valve springs are needed for engines revving over 7000 rpm. We recommend these for all track cars and any M10 using high lift cams like the 304, 306, 316, etc. For installation, you'll need to either use aftermarket spring retainers (such as our titanium retainers or our chromoly steel units), or perform a very-slight modification to the factory steel retainers due to the smaller I.D. of the inner valve spring.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-valvetrain/02vsdual.html 

VAC Motorsports M10 High Performance Valve Spring $224

Each spring is shot-peened for stress relief and dual-interference fit to control harmonic resonance across the rev range.
In our dual spring configuration, should something happen to one spring, the other can prevent the valve from dropping and causing catastrophic engine damage.
With precise specs and consistent quality, these springs are capable of revving to 11,000+ RPM for added peace of mind and maximum performance. We have been using our VAC series of springs in our World Challenge Touring Car, GT3 car, C-Mod E36 'Silver bullet' and thousands of race and street engines for years with nothing but excellent results.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m10-high-performance-valve-spring-set-8-pcs-p945.aspx

I have been using the IE springs for over 10+ years,  most of my race engines are running 336 cam and run up to 8500 and I have never had any valve spring problems.  Make sure you check the installed height (they are very consistent but the installed height of the valves can cause you some variation)  If you plan on spending much time above 7000 you really need to use uprated rocker arms.  Also make sure you use a really good break in oil or ZDDP with a new cam and rockers.   

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

It all depends on your rev range-

what Byron said, with the caveat that there are several springs for Fords out there that

let you pic nose and seat pressure rather specifically. 

one:

http://www.excessiveracing.com/PAC-1233.aspx

And the number of springs (single or dual) isn't too critical if the pressures are right.

Since  Byron says they're ok, I'd use the IE springs in a heartbeat.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Just as an FYI (and I'm not necessarily saying that it is the right application for you), BMW still sells the factory 18oo TiSA valve springs for like $12.54 each.  That motor was run with both BmW 3oo and 324 cams.  The BmW factory is no slouch either.  It is a critically important bit, more depends on what you are using the car/motor for.  Actually, I am surprised that some of these "shops" aren't re-selling them as something they conjured up.....(schrick is no slouch?  Schrick was around making high quiality parts for BmW's long before most/all of those companies were conceived).   

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com 

Edited by markmac

• 2 weeks later...

I have IE springs and titanium retainers in my race engine with a very similar cam to a Schrick 316. Certainly no valve float up to 7700 rpm, and the cam doesn't seem to falling apart with excessive pressures. These springs have been fitted for approx 2000 race klms.

I did have a 316 in my M10, but with some more head mods, the cam (Tighe Cams 521A) and spring/retainer change, and a little more compression, longer ram tubes (from 4" from 8"), multi -hole injectors the engine now makes 165Hp at 6600 at the wheels, up from 150 at 7300, with between 8 and 20 more Hp from 2000 rpm up, on the same dyno in similar weather conditions. The new set up only loses 2 hp from 6600 to 7300. 

'73 BMW 2002Tii,'89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo,'56 Renault 4CV with 16 TS motor, 

'76 BMW R90S, '68 BMW R60/2, '51 BMW R51/3, '38 BMW R71

Ipswich, Australia.