blackrado

New to '02s, restoring in New Hampshire

12 posts / 2126 viewsLast Reply

Hey there, just introducing myself.  New to the forum and BMWs... converted VW enthusiast.

I have reached out to a couple of you through the group member list but thought this might be more efficient.

I recently picked up a 1976 '02 and am attempting to restore it in Hampton NH.  Runs and drives, complete but rough, but I can tell it is going to be great...

Anyhow, I am reaching out to see if there is anyone in the area I can tap into for questions, advice, or comparisons/motivation. This is my first restoration...most of the previous projects I had were tinkerings...

My first needs from the community are:

1: I need to put a proper engine next to mine so I can compare and trace the vacuum tubes and hoses that my car, while it runs, decided it didn't need to have connected.

2: I have never experienced one of these cars first hand...passenger or driver.  I simply came across this one after some research and had only read fantastic things about them

Any help, insight, criticism, motivation, or (non)sense you can share is appreciated.  Ill try to put up a few pictures of the machine itself. Thanks

Rob

Ok I have some pictures ill be uploading in a few minutes, but I have to say, the car is on the road and driving.  The smile it puts on my face is permanent and even though the interior is all but gone and the exhaust is leaking into the car (only take short trips ;)) its just a blast. 

Crazy how great the feedback is from the suspension as im  not sure when it was replaced.  the gears shift smooth and the engine feels strong.  All the lights work including the high beams and license plate lights... just an unbelievable testament to the original build quality.  I couldn't be happier... unless of course it had a nice coat of paint on it!

Turns out after removing the interior and floor(patches) I needed to replace the drivers side frame rail and reinforce the passenger one.  Structural welding was not something I was prepared to do, so I found a local shop to do it.  I went to MA and cut a frame rail out of a donor and it fit perfectly, obviously. 

Also put new drums in the back and hooked up the E-brake.  brake shoes and pads are good all around, however the pedal is a bit squishy.

Just really excited and happy to keep pushing forward with this over the fall/winter.

also picked up a recaro drivers seat, a cleaned up spare tire well, a black interior (bad drivers seat hence the recaro), and some e21 turbines.

Great update, looking forward to pics.

Welcome to the Nor'east '02ers, our motto "You drive it you're in".

Please Send a PM to Sislane on this forum to get on the e-mail list for our drives and get togethers. We cover all the New England states, and parts of New York.

great!  Ill do that.  Thanks!

I am at work so I cant post the pics direct (security block on personal storage sites) but here is the link to my album 

While driving to work today (Pease Tradeport, Rt33 in Portsmouth) I noticed a green (BRG?) roundie getting onto i95... anyone in the area?

I grew up in North Hampton, was always an E34 guy.  Just bought my first 02' yesterday.  I'll be doing most of the work in Portsmouth.   I live in Boston now, so it'll be a weekend thing when the weather is nice.  

How is your progress?  Are you doing any sheetmetal replacement?  Mine is all there but will need some sheet metal replaced.  Currently looking for someone down south to cut up a tub and ship me floors and rear shock towers

Yes sir we did! Hey new class, I have a guy in Hampton that did my floors and frame supports. Very fair and quality work. I bought the floor pans from wallothenesch (spelling may be off) website. Great quality and German parts, half the cost of 2002ad.

Happy to help any way I can. Progress is coming, but bodywork is still needed before I can paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's the guy?  North Atlantic Autobody?  I see you have a pic of your car in that field?

What kind of cost are we talking about?

Hi Rob,

I think you made it over to our FB page? (I haven't been on the faq as much as I used to) How's the body work coming along?

I'm in Wolfeboro and get over your way on occasion, if you need any help. I have a 76 but removed all smog/vacuum lines so my engine bay wouldn't be of much help. I did do a complete engine bay & drive-train overhaul myself though, so I could probably be of some help.

If you would email me I would love to add you to our group list [email protected] and will include you on the very occasional group emails.

Welcome!

Scott Sislane

Excellent. Help is always appreciated. If there is a benefit to removing the smog/vac lines etc, then your bay may, in fact, been of use. Mine looks very much "adjusted" and home-remedied in some areas.

Bodywork is on hold at the moment since the garage isn't heated or insulated, but part acquisition and console configuration is moving along.

I'll get you my info via fb

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.