• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 Alpina on E Bay?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...after the latch is worn and/or misadjusted...just about every '02 gets them. My Julius has a "nicely dimpled" trunklid.

It is the *original* trunklid, however...

Guest Anonymous

This car looks an awful lot like a car that was for sale a couple years ago at $15k. Then it was being passed off as an Alpina 2002ti. A gentleman from Japan (who owned a real Alpina 1800 and a 2002

turbo) contacted me, curious to know if I thought it was a real ti.

Numerous times I contacted the seller, trying to get him to tell me the VIN, as the car doesn't look like a ti, and most likely was not built by Alpina. Finally I posted on the message board that the

seller wouldn't tell me the VIN. The seller sent me a nastygram saying so what if it's not a real ti, it still has lots of expensive Alpina parts on it, yadda, yadda.

I'm pretty sure this is the same car.

Is there ANY documentation supporting the engine being built by Alpina?? Do we know what is inside the engine? If it has 45DCOEs, it needs more than stock parts inside to make it fast. The VIN is

for a USA model 2002.

Are the other mods definitely Alpina? I see signs of later mods that probably aren't Alpina circa '70s. Alpina probably didn't go for the ersatz braided stainless hose and clamps.

I also see parts that don't match the year of the car, as if it's cobbled together from other cars, though it does look nice in the pictures. 1970 2002s didn't have 12 fuses in the fusebox.

But it looks nice in the pictures.

vince

Guest Anonymous

this car was not done by the alpina factory in germany, the steering wheel and recaro seats are not even period correct(late 70's), besides alpina used mainly scheelman seats on street cars. the air filter canister should have the an aluminum alpina plate that is rectangular with rounded off edges and not some sticker. alpina never had 4 wheel disc brakes on 2002's.

maybe the parts are alpina but for your car to be called an alpina converted car you should have all the receipts, build sheets and tuv paperwork from alpina.

but i'd say it's a nice US model 2002 with alpina goodies. so i'd say the

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.triumphcars.com/bmw/letter.jpg

The car is mine. Wow, I certainly know when I am out of my league. Dave is obviously very knowleadgeable about BMW History--certainly more so than I.

Here's what I know about this car. I have owned it since 1999. The vin indicates this car is not a ti. I am not sure who installed the badges. I thought the ti badges looked cool so I left them on. There were no ti's shipped to America at all actually. Strangely though, it has the ti fuel tank, manifolds, sender unit, and dash.

The factory installed items were the c/r five speed, ti manifolds, twin 45 dcoe's, steering wheel, and uprated suspension/motor goodies. I have a letter from Alpina that I have linked to this article that discusses the car. As far as Alpina goes, there were no Alpina vin numbers so to speak and Alpina doesn't have a historical regsitry that I am aware of. I am not sure what makes one car any more authentic than another. This one has every conceivable Alpina option on it, installed at various stages through at its life. I have recipts detailing accessorie installation from as far back as the Day one. For example, the steering box was added in 1971 from the dealer. I have found no paperwork on the disk brake assemblies. The Reacaros appear to have been installed in 78, I have a recipt for those.

The SPARE c/r 5 speed I bought in 1999 from a shop in LA. All gearsets are brand spanking new.

I apologize in advance if anyone finds my posting misleading. My goal is to find the car a good home, not to pull one over on anyone. I have owned about a dozen 2002's and tried to seek out the ultimate example. This was the nicest I had ever seen. I have yet to see it's equal--anywhere. I am not excited to sell the car, but unfortunately have become ill and don't have time for the vehicle any longer. It deserves a better life than a once a month drive through the countryside. These days, it's difficult for me to get out to where the car is stored.

In the past 4 years, it's been in storage. I moved it to Washington 6 months ago where it's been in climate controlled storage. We ran over everything and made sure it ran correctly prior to posting on Ebay. If it doesn't sell I have secured long term storage for the vehicle, and I don't really need the money. Thanks very much for keeping the 02 dream alive

Cheers

--Todd

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

Is the engine an Alpina built engine? Does it have the Alpina tulip valves and headwork and cam? You could make me a very poor man! : (I think I saw that car lurking in the background of a driveway shot of some other 02s last year?) Well, anyway- sorry you are planning to part ways with it, but congrats on finding a fantastic car. I sincerely hope it goes to an enthusiast who will drive it regularly so we can all admire it. Alpina did use some proprietary stamps on some parts on later cars, but for factory built 02s, i think only a few got the dash plaque, many got the Alpina Valve cover, but as you say, they just did not keep records because they never figured they would become so important 30 years later. But, none of that really matters: IMHO, that car is top dog of carb'd 02s i have heard about. Best to you, get well- Jay

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

pics i have of a complete/correct Alpina car. The 4 position adjustable sway looks correct on Todd's car. I agree with db about the air cleaner housing- good call on that,and on other aspects of the car: i remeber db's eagle eye on previous Alpina? cars. The gauge cluster is hard to see, but it is in the correct place and appears to be a 3 hole, which is also correct.Actually, Alpina was using 3 spoke sport wheels in the day, ala Turbo: good call on the later Momo wheel. After looking at the ebay pics again, it looks like someone assembled a great 02 in the Alpina "spirit", and that is OK: The biggest, and most important, unknown is what is under that valve cover and the engine build. Going to be hard to value the car without specs on the engine internals. Once again, will see what the market will bear... that 600 buck Dinan badge will never leave my brain!( saw lots of real deal Dinan badges at Sears this weekend, including a "3" after the name= tons and tons of bucks into those cars to wear a stage 3 Dinan badge, no less the regular Dinan badge. One has to spend/equip their car with X$ amount of Dinan gear just to earn a badge. A chip does not qualify for a badge. Dinan is America's Alpina in a sense: close relationship with BMW, and lots of R and D to make BMWs go faster, handle better.

Guest Anonymous

when alpina did the conversion they would install on some '02's their larger finned diff which holds 3-4 quarts of diff oil and would put a temp sensor and this is hooked to a vdo diff temp gauge (achse in german) where the three auxilliary gauges are oil press., engine oil temp. and they would all have red dials. now the for the main gauge panel, all the dials on an alpina gauges would be all red and they will have "alpina" on the lower center part of the gauge (instead of "bmw") the speedos came in 200, 220 and 240 kph the rpm gauge redline would come in A0/A1 @ 6,500, A2/A4 @ 6800 and A2S/A3/A4S @ 7,000. i have seen an early 1966 1600 Alpina RS version and the redline was pegged at 8,000.