Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Starting diagnosis

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

So the new '74 automatic is having intermittent starting problems. I would turn the key and get about 1/2 second to 1 second of starter motor action and then it would cut out.

The starter motor was pretty old so I replaced it with a reman. Bosch unit. Got everything in and I'm still seeing the same problem. I tried hooking up a direct starter switch (which I probably should have done in the first place) and the starter goes like a champ. That means there must be a wiring problem somewhere.

Since it's an automatic I can think of two places to look. I figure it's probably either the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch. Before I dive down either of these paths, does anyone have some advice or wisdom to share? I guess the third posibility is crappy wiring somewhere...

Guest Anonymous

On the 74s you also have a ignition interlock relay thats located under the dash next to the steering collumn it usally just fails but might be your problem.....Marty......

Guest Anonymous

the starting problem, try wiggling the shifter, or shift from Park to Neutral while you hold the key in the start position. If it then works, the neutral switch is your problem...

cheers

Mike