• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland Engineering

im kinda amazed there still around. i started buying stuff from them in the early 90's when they advertised in european car magazine. my only complaint would be (website sucks) but its an old school shop so i wouldnt hold my breath 

I ordered two items from IE last week and they were on my doorstep in two days! Great job!

I have purchased a ton of stuff from IE. I have been to their place multiple times and have spent time talking with Jeff and Andrew. I stand behind them 100%.

IE is one of the cornerstones of the 2002 industry. Our support of IE (and all 2002 businesses) is necessary to keep this niche market alive, as well as our beloved cars.

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

I have, so far, only dealt with IE once, which was only some of all of the suspension pieces that needed to be replaced on my resto-mod, and I was completely fine with the time it took to arrive since, well my car literally was as apart as an 02 could get and still is... It is strange to some people, for me being 16 and apart of the smartphone internet generation, that I have so much patience with people, it kind of makes me feel like I need to be more impatient, but that'll never happen. Anyways... patience is a virtue and my favorite thing to say is that is takes thirteen hours to make a Toyota, and six months to build a Rolls Royce. When I place my next order with IE, which would mostly be brakes and engine, I will make sure to spend the time waiting straightening out the body. Stay awesome IE.

EDIT- I almost forgot I am 17 this Thursday...

Edited by TedC

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara

OK OK, so now I have a guibo and bolts on order from IE.  I just can't quit you, IE. 

I was perfectly prepared to wait as long as necessary, and it was on my porch today.  Just in time for my rebuilt driveshaft to come in this weekend.  Thanks guys!

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Just put in a larger order.  Pretty sure it was Jeff that took the order as he was pretty straight forward and seemed like he was writing it down on paper ;)

Sounded like there was no issue with getting it shipped out in a decent amount of time 

3 small IE gripes:

As an international buyer, my No. 1 gripe with IE is their $25 "admin charge" for internationally shipped orders (on top of the international shipping). I am already paying a lot for shipping, why charge me more for admin? Also what admin is actually involved? I have bought things from probably over 100 foreign companies (mostly other U.S. ones), no one has charged an admin fee on top of the extra shipping price. Makes you wonder if it is just a money making exercise?

No. 2 is that having bought both their 15" front and rear disc kits and neither of them fitting under my 15" wheels (by some distance as well) this necessitated a lot of re-machining at my end. Now I know that all wheels are different so they cannot guarantee fitment but my suggestion would be to quote a minimum internal diameter and offset of the wheels to give a proper idea of what will fit or not when ordering. A measure from the outside edge of a caliper and the centre of a wheel hub cant be that hard to obtain. This goes for the smaller kit they make that fits under "most" 13" alloys, can we have a definition on "most"?

No 3 is that nothing I have bought from them has been supplied with installation instructions, pictures or literally anything. You totally have to figure it out yourself from a jumble of parts, most times this is easy and sometimes its not. For example, the rear 15" disc kit comes with 2 hard lines and 2 flexi lines per side... why is it different from standard? One flexi and one hard line along the training arm? am I missing something? I have no fitting instructions? Ultimately the kit fits but I have two totally unnecessary joints in my brake lines where the it goes hard-flexi-hard for seemingly no reason?

Other than these small technicalities I have found IE products to be very good quality and I have never had any problems with slow delivery or any problems with quick responses to questions. I would still recommend them as most people do, They offer a lot of products for the 02 that no one else makes and for that we should all be grateful.

Edited by camperman

Andrew, I did not realize that Jeremy is not in good health. Like many others here, I have been an IE customer since about 1995, and always had great service from Jeremy and then you when you came on board. Jeff has always been willing to talk details with me as well, and I have continued on as a customer for many years as I want to support the business that supports '02's, in particular the race and performance aspects. Sometime there were issues, but in the end it was always made right. I am sure I speak for many when I ask that you convey our support and best wishes to Jeremy. I wish him a strong and speedy recovery.

Thank you and best regards,

Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Just put in a larger order.  Pretty sure it was Jeff that took the order as he was pretty straight forward and seemed like he was writing it down on paper ;)

Sounded like there was no issue with getting it shipped out in a decent amount of time 

All my parts efficiently arrived in 3 days!  Thanks IE,  I've never had a bad experience

Glad to see this thread to get a little insight into what is going on there.

Had a bit of an issue recently with what felt like a rather long wait to receive incorrect parts then happened to get Jeff on the phone when I called. In the end, got it all fixed and the correct parts were shipped out very quickly.

Ireland has a great selection of parts and a very nice website, hope they are around for a long time.

drmattsevilworkshop.com

FWIW,  

I've got nothing but GREAT things to say about Ireland Engineering.

Let me also say,

I'm a total newb when it comes to all things BMW but not to car restoration/customizing. I am in the middle of several projects, two of which are a 1972 2002 and a 1967 2000c.

Being a rookie, informative websites help me a lot and IE's is pretty stinkin good. I'm upgrading brakes on the 2002 at the moment and the little tips that identify this part as part of "320" upgrade or for "street/race" in the description help me learn.

I made my first order on May 12, 2015. Realizing I had forgotten to order something I made another order a little later that evening. Both arrived on May 19, 2015. I turned around and made another order the day before yesterday based on that great experience. I like it when I'm confident I'm ordering the correct parts. 

I will end it by saying there are other vendors that could have had my money first (ahem TEP) but chose to offer "less than stellar" customer service. But that is another story...    

Well played IE.

I'm in Canada, IE's shipping costs to Canada are a little outrageous.

my short story...

February 2015

- I placed an order and had it shipped to a warehouse just across the border (45mins from Montreal) to save on shipping, I had other stuff to pick-up.

- A few minutes after placing my order, I realized I forgot 2 items, so I emailed IE asking that they add them to order and charge card please.

- 2 days after no response, I emailed asking if they can confirm they received my modification. I received confirmation from them that they did that the order was modified.

- I received the shipping confirmation that the items were shipped, I noticed the 2 extra items I wanted to add weren't on there. I emailed IE, received a response that they were included in the shipment.

- I drove down to Champlain, NY  to pick up my packages. The 2 extra parts were not included :(

- I emailed them asking if they could ship the items to me in Montreal at the Champlain rate...to make up for the mix up. I never got a response and gave up.

(Shipping the 2 small parts is to Montreal is $80.35usd (versus $19.72 to Champlain).)

-

I should say though...I see a lot of the stuff (instruction, etc.) IE has on this site and really appreciate it. They def help make some of my searches/work easier (I've). I just had this bad experience. I never wrote about it until I saw this thread. i still like IE and want to remain friends.

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

^^ that's the thing, people don't write about their bad experiences with ie, and instead they just don't buy from them anymore..so everyone thinks ie is all gravy, but that's not reality

Sent from my Samsung Note 4

Manny

OMG, the thread that refuses to die...AAAARRGGHH!!

Show me ONE business (restaurant, store, bank, etc) that has managed throughout its history to please ALL of the people ALL of the time...doesn't exist!

Ireland Engineering has proven itself to be an invaluable and incredible resource to our community for decades...and the people who work there are great because they CARE about us. I think its safe to say that the majority of us here have benefited from their help over the years. I would hope they can be forgiven for an odd delayed package or a rare dropped ball every now and then, no?

I don't call the shots but I personally sure wish we could move on here! I guess the positive effect is the massive outpouring of support and praise for IE that this thread has generated.

COOP

Edited by COOP

OMG, the thread that refuses to die...AAAARRGGHH!!

Show me ONE business (restaurant, store, bank, etc) that has managed throughout its history to please ALL of the people ALL of the time...doesn't exist!

Ireland Engineering has proven itself to be an invaluable and incredible resource to our community for decades...and the people who work there are great because they CARE about us. I think its safe to say that the majority of us here have benefited from their help over the years. I would hope they can be forgiven for an odd delayed package or a rare dropped ball every now and then, no?

I don't call the shots but I personally sure wish we could move on here! I guess the positive effect is the massive outpouring of support and praise for IE that this thread has generated.

COOP

...like I said, I appreciate what they do despite my unhappy experience. I guess writing a complaint over shadows the appreciation.

DenverTII for prez.

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/