Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

OT: Question for any other WRX owners out there

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Anybody experience any "anomalous" braking behavior in their WRX when going over bumps on otherwise dry, smooth roads?

I have a little problem I'm trying to deal with right now...

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

'02 WRX

Guest Anonymous

Head over to www.impreza.net and do a search on WRX ABS ... this topic has been beaten to death over there. I've noticed this problem on some bumps, small loose gravel on pavement, etc. It seemed to get a little better when I bought new (better) tires, but its still there. I notice it about once every month or two.

FWIW, one person posted an improvement when going with bigger rear brakes. I'd like to do a rear brake upgrade, so I hope that it helps. Most of the time, the ABS problem doesn't bother me, so I haven't done anything about it. Could always pull the ABS fuse...

Karl

'02 WRX wagon

Guest Anonymous

Subaru has some funny priorities for the WRX, and for some reason they decided that the best place to test them and set them up would be on a frozen lake. I am pretty sure that Subaru did the testing on one of the American Great Lakes, but their main factory is in Hokaido, and there is plenty of ice there in the winter.

But anyway, that's the deal. They're super sensitive because they were calibrated on ice. If you go to some of the WRX boards you can find out how turn them off, and create your own ABS with your left foot like Solberg. :-)

Guest Anonymous

Wednesday I rear-ended someone when I had to stop at maybe 35 mph with at least 5 car-lengths between us. I would have stopped easily had I not hit a bump and the ABS system went nuts. Fortunately, damage was minor.

I plan on trying to force Subaru to buy the car back as defective under Maryland's lemon law. I'm sure the car would stop better with the ABS system disabled (fuse pulled), but there's no way I'm assuming the legal liability that would go with that action.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

Reading the boards seems like it's becoming a common fail item. I and others are pushing complaints to the NHTSA in hopes of generating a recal.

Funny 02 content: I had been driving the E30M3 for quite a while. I got back in the 02 (with some rock hard tires). I'm coming into a stop light and press on the brakes. I hear tires squealing and think "what the hell is that?". Then I realize it's ME and start threshold braking. Stopped just in time with only a little side to side action.