Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

tires are weak point....( well driver is weakest point)...

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

My instructor took my Inka for recon laps and on lap 3 put some speed to the lap. tires were real slippery. They are michelin pilot xgt4, or some such.... should be better. but seemed to come in when we really got some heat into them. Racer people, suspension people, all people: i have a nice layer of melted rubber on the underside of my front wheel arches. i am running 225/50 /15, with spacers. should i go down to a 40 sidewall? or do i need to get those alpina flares..... tires are still in good shape- but when front end is loaded , under braking for 7 and 11, i am apparently making "contact" between tire and steel. oh ya, the slacks at the Wheelworks( see kris story about slack workers) took a nail out of a tire 2 weeks ago and assured me it was o.k. no leak. no nuffin. well, slow leak. Been monitoring it and didnot have another 1/2 day to sit with car to have slacks redo tire. damn- i spent 2 hours waitng for them to do the job cuz i wanted to make sure tire was o.k. . well, after this weekend, they get thrashed at Wheelworks for sending me ut with bogus info. Track school is absolute blast. sears is very technical track- lots to learn and remember and do. lots of 02s running really well in all classes. Instructors amazed at number of 02 s that are at school. happy to see them. more info after today- big challenge to put it all together in all turns for a lap. then adding speed makes it all kinda different, and harder. Car is operating great! Instructor, who has owned an A4 , (massaged and putting out bigger hsp than mine) said my car was right on- very happy with it. that was great to hear. man- he can make that car do stuff - makes M3s get out of the way! anyway- will finish up with this set of tires and really research the next set. Michelin Pilots are supposed to be really good. I think maybe he did not have enough heat in them yet. cold temps at the track and threat of rain all day. Freaking winter in bay area this weekend. These road tres apparently need a lot of working to get up to sticky temps in the ambient cold air and track temp. the cold is actually a blessing for the school. easier on the cars and the people than those summre schools in 100 plus heat.

Guest Anonymous

I recently had a set fitted by a friend, from Kleber. Supposedly

they're French. I really like them in the dry, both on track and

on the road. In the wet they keep up fairly well, too, but when

they start sliding there is little to be regained. I had Pilots

before, which were friendlier but not as good in the dry.

Just my findings, no rules.....

Regards,

Hugo

Guest Anonymous

I recently had a set fitted by a friend, from Kleber. Supposedly

they're French. I really like them in the dry, both on track and

on the road. In the wet they keep up fairly well, too, but when

they start sliding there is little to be regained. I had Pilots

before, which were friendlier but not as good in the dry.

Just my findings, no rules.....

Regards,

Hugo

Guest Anonymous

n1web.jpg

205s, that allow rub-less room to move with extreme cornering-forces and extreme body-roll (yes Jay, even Alpinas lean a little).