Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Windshield replacement caveat...

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Having the windshield replaced on my '73 (thanks, truck without mudflaps on I35!). Took to a good glass shop locally, they ordered replacement gasket, locking strip and windshield.

When I dropped off the car I looked at the replacement gasket--from an aftermarket glass supplier marked "Made in Thailand."

The very consciencious installer (why I use 'em) just called to tell me the replacement gasket was much narrower than the original, so paint line showed prominently. He emergency ordered the factory gasket from local dealer (shoulda called me re Bimmer Parts or Max). Moral of story...if you have windshield and gasket replaced, insist on OEM gasket so it'll fit. And it wouldn't hurt to give 'em the VIN, as there are some differences in the gasket. This aftermarket one is probably a "one size fits all"

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I've done a dozen windshield seals in the past couple of years. In one case I used an aftermarket seal from one of the local stores. It was a lot more trouble to install, and it never did fit right. Some BMW part numbers:

51-31-1-817-764 Windshield seal, about $64

51-31-7-440-154 Rear glass seal, about $94

51-31-7-440-105 Locking strip, front or rear, about $18

You can reuse the aluminum joint cover.

If you have 'alligator teeth' clamp strips holding the headliner and A-pillar vinyl to the sheet metal, you *must* remove and discard the strips if installing the 51-31-1-817-764 seal. Use glue instead of the strips to attach the vinyl.

The seal which works with the clamp strips is different and NLA.