chad

M20 Engine Mounts

25 posts / 3742 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I originally was going to use an e21 323i radiator but found out that a few e21 guys use an e30 m3 aluminum radiator as an upgrade. You have to swap the lower outlet to the other side but then it's a direct replacement. I purchased a Mishimoto radiator and just have to have the outlet swaped. It is a little bigger than the stock e21 323i radiator but still fits.

Edited by chad

I am 98% sold on putting an m20 in mine using these mounts, was discouraged previously because of the nose modifications necessary. My car already has a g245 on my m10, do you know if it stays in the same location or has to be moved further back than it sits when on the m10? Thanks, and i'll definitely be in touch soon for some of these beauties!

You'll have to locate a M20 bell housing for the G245 as well.  The transmission will be located farther back than what you likely have now and you will likely have to perform some minor body work in the tunnel like I mentioned.  I am having about 20 cm removed from the front section of my drive shaft.  Let me know what you decide.  I have also attached a picture of everything mocked up.  This includes the E30 M3 aluminum radiator that I had modified.  

post-35605-0-34923700-1431466970_thumb.j

Chad Mounts M20B25 and G260 Notes

1) Does not clear center track rod.  Solution was to shorten and re-weld the pitman and idler arms.  Also, does not clear the trans clutch cover.  I had to cut a big rectangle out of it and epoxy'd a plate in.  It's just a cover you could easily make another one out of sheet metal.

2) Stock E30 driveshaft ALMOST fits. But it doesn't, by 1/2 an inch or so.

3) No cut to the front valance is badass

4) If you are using the scirocco radiator, need to trim the battery tray and a little bit of the overhang on the frame rails to fit (re-weld corners for strength).  A radiator 2 inches less wide would have been perfect.

5) No cut valance allows room for you to easily mount the stock, or any oil cooler.

6) For extra clearance in the front, cut the threads off the front of the water pump (we aren't using the clutch fan so this is not needed), cut 1/2 of the crank nut off. 

No-cut is kind of a unicorn, its almost there!