Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

rocker panel rust - repairable other than bondo?

25 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.boatpond.com/stuff/burt/

I'm contemplating buying a '68 I ran across the other day while out tooling around w/ the fam - it's a 1 owner sunroof CA black plate car w/ 450k documented miles in extremely original condition (3rd engine, #'s don't match :(). Has been well cared for and has no rust anywhere, except for in the rockers.

Passenger side starts about 1/3 of the way back, and in the back is worse. Driver's side has just surface rust near the back. Frame rails are excellent on both sides. Guy is asking $2k.

So, is the rocker panel rust repairable? If not, other than bondo, should I be worried about the cancer spreading to the frame? And lastly, think this is a good price?

Guest Anonymous

cant see pix. no permission/access to server

price???? dunno. maybe, but then again, i'm tight.

Guest Anonymous

will_nose.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.org

It's a good bet that the car is rusty in many other places once you start to take a close look. Remember, the rust you can see is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out the Macartney '02 Restoration book if you're unfamiliar with common 2002 rust locations. If you really want this car be prepared to sink some considerable money in rust repair. $2000 sounds high based on your description. Offer $500 and see what happens.

2002s are worth saving (often for emotional/aesthetic reasons rather than financial). However, you either have to be prepared to spend a lot of money on bodywork, or learn how to do it yourself (in which case you'll still be spending a significant amount cash).

Good Luck!

Martin

'73tii

Guest Anonymous

If rust is bad enough that it made huge holes in the rockers, it also has spread all over the car, making sheet metal thinner and weaker.

In my opinuion, you will have to change the whole rocker panel, until you find more rust...

$2000 is way too much. Pay $1000 and drive it as is for a year, until you dump the car, or look else where if you are on a budget.

Remember that it is VERY costly to remove rust from a 2002.

Guest Anonymous

1600sm.jpg

But it wasn't running and needed some tlc. I put in a new battery and got it running. It has some minor rust in the rear rocker area where the sunroof drains into, but that's it. I'll be looking into getting that fixed in the next couple of years.

I would probably offer around $1500 for what you described. It would be nice to see the pics (access forbidden). Good luck!

Karl

'73 2002tii

'70 1600-2

'65 1800TI

Guest Anonymous

I have repaired mine that was very very rusted. As long as you have some welding skils and that you know how to do it right, i am not scared at all about a rusty body, sure that if the structure itself is bad, it is not that much funny...event that, as an example, i did refab the frame on my 4runner. It did broke on me in 2 on the road(!)I have made a exact copy of the original frame, looks totaly factory and it didnt took me long. Some bending and laser cuts/plasma parts were needed to do it. I have access to all this stuf so why not doing it...My friend who owns this shop even offered me to make molds for my flares before instaling them to do some copy and sell them...the hood and the trunk lid too...it is his job and he does it damm good, he teached me all my welding skills.

Pat

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://groups.msn.com/cabinaugust2000/burt.msnw?Page=Last

Thanks for the responses. I believe the rust is definitely from sunroof drainage, as it starts in the rear. I went over every inch of the rest of the car, and there is zero, nada, nothing in terms of rust, including shock towers, pans, kick panels, spare tire well, gas tank, valence. Which makes me think even more that it's from the sunroof drain tubes (I had forgotten that they drain at the rear of the rocker).

I posted the pix to a new location that should be viewable by all. Do the opinions still stand?

Guest Anonymous

What you see as "rocker panels" aft of the door openings (beginning at the vertical rocker panel seam) is really part of the quarter panel. The actual rocker panel is underneath, and it's that double thickness (plus the sunroof drains) that cause the rockers to rust first towards the rear of the car. Outer rockers are available and fairly easy to install; it's the inner rocker panels (the vertical sill piece inside the car covered by carpet) that's structural. If it's mostly gone, the car has serious structural problems. Small holes (typically under the door sills)can easily be repaired, as they'll be covered by carpet.

Looks like it has all the typical 68 traits: red center taillights, a smooth steering wheel center cover and an original style radio mount. And the Grenada red finish matches the black interior. What's the body VIN?

Mike

Guest Anonymous

be about all the rust there is in the car.

My beater/project '70 is in much the same condition as this car, and it had been owned by a series of students at CalPoly SLO (which meant it had lived outside for quite a while). I've got sunroof drain related rocker rust, but have found none anywhere else in the floors, shock towers, pedal box or frame rails - the only exception is behind the left rear wheel well, due to poorly completed repairs to some minor collision damage.

I'd say $2k is pretty much in line for a solid black plate sunroof car - offer less, but if you really like the car, don't let it get away for $500 (of course you could always turn dangergrrl on to the seller and maybe have a friend for life, too).

Guest Anonymous

but I looked it up last night to see where it stood and remember commenting to my gal that it's a '68 and was about the 3000ish car made that year.

Guest Anonymous

I hear ya! Man that is UGLY. It is, fortunately, glued on, if you can believe that. So I should be able to get rid of it pretty easily. Phew.

Guest Anonymous

That vin 1663xxx corresponds to a USA model 1971 2002.

Vins go from 1660001 thru 1680000.

To find all vins go to www.bmw-02-club.de/fgnr.htm