Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Replacement door panels...

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33696&item=2439327739

Has anyone had any experience with the replacement door panels currently for auction from 2002 ad on ebay? They look like pressboard, not cool mahogany like Al's. They are priced reasonable but I don't know if they will work great. I suppose they won't be any worse than the 30 year old cardboard that I currently have.

Guest Anonymous

I made my own for less than $10. It's not worth $40.

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

Hey Bob,

Not sure if I should say anything here, but those panels do look like pressboard, which ain't mahogany, and they're $39.95, for a single board. Mine are $65 for a pair. $32.50 per board.

BTW, the seller of those ones, is 2002AD.

Al

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

To lots of people, it is worth it. My mahogany panels sell very quickly. In fact, I have a tough time keeping up with demand. I sell a pair of them for $65, and mine are from mahogany. The materials alone cost more than $10. Once you factor in the labour to do it, it makes it very worthwhile for many people. Also, did you use a forstner bit to make sure your holes are drilled perfectly, and hand sand the edges? I do.

Al

Guest Anonymous

I totally missed that auction being only for ONE board. I would have been a little upset had only one show up...

I think I read a while back that you could, for a reasonable price of course, make a set of custom door panels (upholstery, backing, clips, etc). If you are interested, shoot me an email. I have a couple ideas that I would like to bounce off somone who does good work.

Guest Anonymous

I don't have any good panels to use as templates or I would. The only pair I have access too are "home made" for lack of a better term. None of the clip holes were used, instead sheet rock screws did the holding. They were pretty rough so I tossed them.

Guest Anonymous

It's cheaper to make your own if you get it right the first time (unlikely) and if your time is worth less than five dollars per hour. How many of you are earning less than the Minimum Wage?

Guest Anonymous

Using a laser shop to cut the panels? I have used one several times for stainless parts in material between .030 and .100" thick. (as part of my vocation, not my avocation)

With a good operator, almost no cleanup is needed. It may on may not be cheaper, but it could help you keep up with demand.

Just my 02 cents worth.

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

Why not just go to a local rad shop, and pay them to do it? Waaaaaay cheaper than yours could ever be! Some people don't like to fuck around with it. They would rather buy a known quality item, and save the headaches.

Al

ps - BTW, my 3 core cost me $200 Canadian, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

I thought about it, but I think it would increase the cost too much. Also, I firmly believe that if you want something done right, you do it yourself.

Al

Guest Anonymous

I think it's great that people like Al Canuck, Dave Varco, and 2002AD are going to the trouble of reproducing door panels and such. They put in dozens of hours of design, testing, and fabrication time. They select, buy, and stock the raw material. They sell a few units, then put in more design time after discovering a 'mid-197x' running change. They sell to ham-fisted installers like us, then refine their design to overcome our installation "skills". They find and test better materials. They find new sources when the old ones dry up. They keep finished units in stock, so us '02 kids can have instant gratification. They send us the correct, working part the first time. They do this knowing that the market is very small. And they do it all for a fair price. It is a pleasure to send my money to guys like this and receive a quality product in return.

If you want to create your own panels, that's great. There are good reasons for doing that, but saving money that way is not a realistic goal.