Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

other question: 92mm pistons owners...

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

what have you came with about the head gasket with heavy oversized pistons, like 92mm?

I have done some measurements years ago and concluded that going above the 91mm mark can be on the edge for the head gasket. Is there another type available for 92mm pistons? Is my conclusion bad then?

M3 ga$ket?? tii cutting ring??

Thanks

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

You could get one for the standard bore and enlarge as needed. Wouldn't consider it for stock stuff but for what your doing the extra strenth wouldn't hurt. Lasts forever!

Guest Anonymous

No, i dont want to go copper, too much sealing problems, when i was playing with VW, me and my race team build up some hipo 14:1 motor with a copper gasket. Too much problems. I know that proper surface rms preparation and o-ring into the block with new good gasket can hold a train.

Pat

Guest Anonymous

BTW Why do you need a virgin block if your intention is to bore it to 91/92mm?

Call me home today 514 289.9603

Guest Anonymous

THERE IS A PLACE WHERE YOU NEED TO FILL IN

WITH RTV BY THE UPPER TIMING COVER - NOT HARD TO DO .

Guest Anonymous

Easier for the machinist to not scrap the block, if he have to remove just 0,020 or so, he can miss align his tool and then scrap the block.

On the other hand, i would like to work on a new engine and keep mine as a spare.

I dont want to overbore to 92mm, that is the point and why i did ask if it is too much, because if i keep my actual block, this is what i will have to do. So i would like to not overbore it too much, a lot of horses are called.

Pat

Guest Anonymous

I decided to go 91mm because I could use a cutting ring gasket without problems.

Metric mechanic claims to have a specially made gasket. I couldn't get enough info from them to feel comfortable with future availability. Many people including metric told me that there are sealing problems with the m3 gasket on a m10 block. of course all the oil/water passages are different.

If you don't have pistons already.. get 91mm. If you do, your only option in my opinion is a metric mechanics gasket.

68 1600 2.2L

Guest Anonymous

I do ask all this because i dont have them yet, so maybe i will be able to get a virgin block with the help of Lee and then will decide wich oversize i will go, sure not 92mm.

Thanks

Pat