Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Great Lakes area people ...a QUEST!

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

When I was a wee pup - my parents bought the first family 02 from a place in Erie Pennsylvania called "Alfred's Foreign Cars" off of W 26th street.

Alfred Gunkel (the one time owner) became a long time family friend for decades after that initial purchase - and I have always wanted an "Alfred's F.C" dealer plaque for the back of my current (and last) 02. These were pot metal with swoopy script that were glued to the back of the cars he sold. Anyone with one of these is urgently requested to contact me. I will gladly pay $100-200 for one of these....AT LEAST!!!! Anyone familiar with junkyards around the Erie / Pittsburgh / Buffalo area that's seen one - on ANY old foreign car (1970- 1975 era Lancias, Fiats, BMW, Benz, Alfa, Lotus....?) would get a fist full of cash from me - and undying gratitude!!!

Thanks for the bandwidth!!

Paul

zenwrench@att.net

Guest Anonymous

my sister lives in erie, all my wifes cousins and my parents about an hour away.

Guest Anonymous

And although none of my 1600/2002's still have their correct dealer frames I am on the quest to find some...I have the dealership book and know the names of the local lots that sold out cars new. I collect frames from my area, it is the ultimate finishing touch to a restoration. The problem is most junkyards pull the plate/frames once the car's enter the yard for dismantle....sometimes I have been lucky in finding frames in the trunk/back seat @ the yards. I have been also fortunate in that alot of the older VW procuct I buy still have 'em (and ALWAYAYS metal), or pot metal. They dont seem to hold up very well in inclimate weather however. Once the eighties hit most dealers went to plastic that faded/broke very quickly. The mid/late sixties-early seventies are the ones to get. It is my favorite hobby- collecting local Euro dealer frames form this era....most are quite ornate. Will post pics of the collection someday but for now here is my favorite (bike) frame! localframe.JPG

Guest Anonymous

...based upon memory:

Capital "A" that's substantially taller than the other letters - and kind of "swoopy" with a long tail at the beginning of it. written in printed (not cursive) font, I believe the rest of "lfred's" is in lower case. Definitely metal badge - about 4" long or so.

For a dealer badge - it's kind of pretty.

Man....huge finder's fee if one located - as already dangled in my previous post.

Alfred must be in his mid 80's by now and I've lost touch with him, hope he's doing well. His old employee "Wolfgang" (who was a TEENAGER when I knew him back then!)is still in Erie doing BMW and Porsche stuff...but no badges there - I checked! :-)

Thanks all of ya' - it means alot to me to find one of these - of huge sentimental value to me.

Paul