Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

OT. Do HVLP turbine systems worth the $. Are they good

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking at Accuspray, Lemmer ,Graco and Tp Tools. Or better upgrade my crapman compressor and get a good (true) HVLP gun?

TIA

Guest Anonymous

take a look at autobodystore.com message board. Search the archives from some info. I deal with the board's and shop's owner, Len Stuart, every once in a while, and I trust his recommendations. Do realise that Len is trying to sell a particular brand, but he is an honest guy. Sometimes his advise is very brand specific, but you can probably extrapolate what he says to other brands (like when he talks about different stages of turbines).

I went over this a few years ago when I started my project. There are a few pluses to a Turbine setup IMO. Small size, less overspray, paint has potential to dry faster (a plus for less crap in the paint in a garage, also a drawback for increased orange peel). Somewhat less expensive for a good turbine system compared to a good compressor and gun. Very portable compared to a compressor setup.

That said, I choose to go for a compressor and gun. I figured I would use the compressor for a lot of jobs. This has turned out to be very true. I use the compressor everytime I am in the garage, and only a few times have I pulled out a spray gun. Someday I plan to paint my shell, but even with that, the amount of time I spend using the compressor for painting is minimal compared to the time I use it for other air tools.

If you are not planning on moving soon, have the space, and the money, a big 2-stage compressor is the way to go IMO. At a DIYer's pace, it should last long long time.

Guest Anonymous

compressor for auto paint (go to take your time to adjust the right pattern). I prefer a cheapo harbor frieght touch-up gun for lacquer (water or solvent based) on wood (I throw it away after each guitar).

I have never go the knack of the turbine systems and I don't like sanding orange peel out, on anything.

Guest Anonymous

built in Germany I had some last over 10 years in a industrial enviroment, tried every brand, they just don't last and they could be almost as expensive as Sata's