6 posts / 1379 viewsLast Reply

After months of searching for a more period correct radio option, I came across an online photograph of a radio that would fit my console perfectly. I am pretty sure that this is a Blaupunkt am/fm radio. Would anyone know the model name/number? Thanks.

post-47311-0-59892000-1427588733_thumb.j

(edited)

Read this and get educated:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/144707-dating-2002-era-blaupunkt-radios/?hl=%20blaupunkt%20%20radios%20%20dating

The photo is terrible. It might be a Blaupunkt or might be something altogether different (the brand name showing in the middle upper center of the dial looks somewhat un-Blaupunkt). But do look particularly at Post #20 in the above thread: HBChris provides a photo of a Taiwan-built AM/FM monaural Blaupunkt that looks somewhat like the radio in the bad photo. I don't know if these Eastern-built Blaupunkts used the convention of being named after cities.

A Blaupunkt with its original label is instantly identifiable. Without a label, we can probably get you close to a date, if it is, indeed, a Blaupunkt! Is there some reason you can't ask the seller what brand the radio is or even for a better photograph?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

(edited)

If you've got a generous budget, the right radios are readily available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261550961787?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The listed Blaupunkt looks like a Frankfurt Stereo U.S. Kit, Model 7635 421 012, which appears to have been manufactured in '75 (G prefix on serial number) and '76 (H prefix on serial number). The photos below shows '75 and '76 examples.

Bear in mind that the $550 price is not crazy. You'll generally pay $150 to $300 for a West Germany-manufactured Blaupunkt with no assurance whatsoever that it works. It will cost you another $200 to $250 to have it serviced and made operable.

Note also that finding the knobs which match the '02's dash knobs is not always easy if the radio comes with generic or other-style knobs. And you may need to find a correct faceplate if the radio is not coming straight out of an '02 with a console similar to yours.

Good luck,

Steve

post-41123-0-84332100-1427600039_thumb.j

post-41123-0-50060600-1427600088_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

Hi Steve...it has taken me a bit to read through the five pages of posts in your "educated" link above. Very helpful and I urge anyone considering being period correct to read through the posts. It is also a must read for Blaupunkt owners. That said, being period correct is important to me, but it's not my only criteria as I look to further personalize the 02 I purchased last July.

My dilemma: I have a functioning (no, not just the knees) Behr A/C. If I didn't, I would have purchased this Becker Grand Prix:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Becker-GrandPrix-Grand-Prix-Nummerngleich-6V-12V-Oldtimer-Radio-Oldtimerradio-/361220782159?ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3ADE%3A1123&nma=true&si=RSZQW9KK1la8NWyeB6srTOGaggY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I love tube gear and even though the Grand Prix in the link is mono, in a cabin as small as the 02's, stereo or multi-channel audio make very little difference IMO.  I believe that the warm enveloping nature of a great tube unit would more than compensate for the lack of period conformance. The striking (okay, overwhelming) facia can be dialed down so that it would aesthetically fit the period, car, and cabin.  I think I should have bought the radio and engineered a space solution. I'm still in touch with the seller. Someone got a steal for just over $300.

I also spent some time tracking down the radio in the picture. Yes, it was a lousy picture, but it's all I had. I think I originally located it through Google images. If I wasn't pressed for time when I posted here, I would have tracked the Google image to the following link:

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/11/05/bat-exclusive-1974-bmw-2002-auto/

Which leads to the following set of pictures from the original seller:

http://s13.photobucket.com/user/tracymorris/media/BMW%202002/103_2966.jpg.html?sort=3&o=13

The car would have been 30 minutes away from where I live in 2010. The buyer of the car is apparently self-identified by name in the BAT link. If he's a 2002FAQ reader and is in the Sacramento area, I would love to compare notes on his 74 Sahara. The photograph I'm linking to shows the radio space constraints. If you have a functioning A/C, your radio should be no more than about 7" wide by about 6" deep by about 2.25 inches high.

And according to the good folks at ChromeLondon, Mr. Conserv, you are correct. The radio is a Frankfurt. Your speculation is even more impressive given what ChromeLondon pointed to: "the radio in photo bucket is simply a U.S. Blaupunkt FRANKFURT mono not a BAVARIA as i first thought. It is actually just a chrome centre section which you can see there, he (she?) has then cut a panel himself around it. If you look closely you can see the cutaways. The only authentic aspect are the knobs."

Your comments about what I can expect to pay for a decent period correct radio are appreciated. I am working with ChromeLondon on options and I would settle for $550. Unfortunately it appears that the options will cost me about $100 more than this including shipping. If anyone reading this has a better and cheaper solution, please speak up now! The bright side of this is that the top condition and great sounding Blaupunkt Dearborn in my 02 fetches as much as $1K now so I may end up making some money from the Porsche crowd.

By the way, I also contacted Becker about their updated retro styled $2K Becker Mexico unit. I asked if the GPS included US maps. To my surprise the answer was no. I really don't get it since it seems to have everything else. Making it even more surprising is the fact that Becker is owned by Harmon International Industries, an American firm also known for Harman/Kardon, JBL, Lexicon, and Mark Levinson Audio amongst others. That tube Becker Grand Prix is looking better every second. To Henrik from Tecklenburg, all I can say is I'm sorry! Family has to be number one; 02s second.

I will report back on what I finally settle upon, which may include sticking with the Dearborn. For those that are wondering why I want to dump the Dearborn, the answer is simple: it has a digital display. While it looks good in the cabin and sounds better driving four speakers, the digital display bothers me more each day.

(edited)

All good, Hynrgee!

From my perspective, the appearance trumps the sound so I can only really help with the period-correct solutions! And now that I know you have Behr A/C, the options narrow.

BECKER

Although their installation was much rarer at the time, nothing tops the appearance of the Becker radios. The first radio I put in my '76 was a Becker Europa II stereo. It was stolen within a year. My '76 has A/C, but my Clardy A/C provides a wee bit more space than the Behr A/C. Simply put, forget the Grand Prix (stereo or monaural). The unit you fell in love with is early '60s and thus outside of my period-appropriate range for an '02; but the Grand Prix remained the top-of-line Becker during the '02 era. Its "advantage" over a Europa II Stereo was its pushbutton search tuning; its "disadvantages" were (a.) the fussiness and un-dependability of the pushbutton search tuning; and (b.) it was never down-sized, or reduced to a single unit, as was the Becker Europa II. The Grand Prix did NOT sound better than the Europa. It was just slicker. You could get a floor switch for the Grand Prix that allowed you to switch stations with your foot. Very cool.

If you want a Becker that fits easily with Behr A/C, you want a single-piece (no separate amp) Europa II Stereo dated 1973 through 1976. Below is a photo of the data sticker of a 1975 ("L") unit. Without an original data sticker, step carefully: faceplates are largely interchangeable and I've often seen the wrong faceplate inadvertently, or perhaps even intentionally, installed on used units. The 1977 and later Europa II Stereo will also fit but it has 6 rather than 5 pushbuttons, so your friends will know instantly that your Europa post-dates the '02 era! They may taunt and mock you. (Shhh, but it will work the same as the "correct" pre-'77 version.). How do you date a Becker? See Post #17 in the following:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/67621-what-is-the-preferred-vintage-radio/?hl=%20becker%20%20europa%20%20amp

In short, the serial number prefix you are looking for is J, K, L, or M, respectively '73, '74, '75, or '76. Some of the early '73 units have the earlier, larger, head-unit enclosure and separate amp of the later '72 units (the Europa II Stereo was introduced mid-'72). I would simply avoid any of those separate-amp versions (they're all "H" Europa II Stereos and the earlier "J" units). Of course, the larger, early two-piece units seem to have fit with Behr A/C, but then you have to fit the separate amp. Jim Gerock of this forum had one of these earlier two-piece Becker Europa II Stereo units in his Behr-equipped tii. See Posts #6 and #11 in the following for photos and discussion:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/130038-new-radio-install-question/?p=65662

But since there is no audio or operational benefit to the earlier, two-piece examples, why bother fussing with two units and a larger head-unit enclosure? (The fact that the two-piece unit actually fit in Jim's Behr-equipped tii does suggest that maybe, and I do mean maybe, a two-piece, ca. 1973 Grand Prix Stereo might be "shoehorned" into those tight quarters. I've not seen it done but there a few '02s I haven't yet seen!)

BLAUPUNKTS

Returning to Blaupunkts, ANY Frankfurt (stereo or monaural) from '69 through '76 should fit with the Behr A/C. As with post-'76 Beckers, post-'76 Blaupunkts will fit but your friends will recognize the post-'76 styling clues and you will be shamed! I'd recommend you go with a stereo unit, just 'cause you can (there's probably a $100 premium for the stereo units)! The Blaupunkt units are also downsizing during this era -- thanks to increased transistorization -- and the '72 and later units tend to have smaller enclosures than the earlier ones. The sound is no worse so give yourself some additional "wiggle room" by looking for these later units.

That's it for now.

Good luck and regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-75920600-1427725086_thumb.j

post-41123-0-75920600-1427725086_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv