• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT: 1989 325ix

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

He's a great car. I don't drive him much in the snow, but I used to do a lot of rallying on gravel roads, and he's very good at that.

Unlike most other awd cars, BMW's awd (including the ix) biases the power to the rear (63 percent rear, 37 percent front), so it feels more like a rear-wheel drive car.

Performance-wise, my friend (and rally partner) has a WRX that will drive circles around Elmo. But, we recently drove to Indianopulse for the F1 race in the WRX (600 miles each way), and it was a pretty gruelling drive; I think Elmo would have been more comfortable (especially with the Recaros I installed).

David Roach

"Molly" (Inka 1973 2002)

"Elmo" (Diamondschwartz 1991 325ix)

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

i have put 100k miles on my iX,now at 200k, and it is absolutely reliable. i have a small BMW shop and have found that the replacement and used

parts are always available, and not costly at all.

as the others have said, maintainence is the most

important point. the best thing for the iX in the

winter is a good set of snow shoes on steel rims.

i have purchased an iX for as cheap as $1200 and

with a little work it was a great city car the kind

that keeps all of my 11(eleven) 02's off the road

for the winter. if you need parts call me and i will

be glad to price parts for you and sell to you if

you like the prices. as for the transfer case i have

rebuilt the case before for a customer and it is

cheap and very easy. enjoy th SNOW.

stone

stone racing co

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

hi i have a 1991 325ix with a bad transfer case. im trying to locate another one. or have mine rebuilt. any help?

Guest Anonymous

iX025.jpg

Joel from Eurodepot might be parting out an iX. The iX register is in

Utah or Colorado. Think the name is Gordon Haines. Google it. Chains

tend to stretch in those cases and hit the sides,break off aluminum and

messing it up. Most iX's need major drive line work after 150,000 but

once you get it fixed, no better BMW in the snow..