Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

SOT: 1989 325ix

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

prosteve.jpg

Does anyone have any general opinions on the 325ix? I am going to buy another car(for weekend driving, trips, etc.) I want an AWD car, and am torn between the bmw or a subaru. I'm not looking for a performance car, just reliable. I don't know anyone who has had one, so if anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Steve P. in NC

Guest Anonymous

Subaru's are nearly bullet proof, parts are everywhere and they're damn cheap. The iX is neat technology but an engineering dead end for BMW.

Talk your SO into a WRC as the 'snow car' :-)

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

Subaru has mastered it. Only now is BMW once again going into AWD and it shares almost nothing in common with the old system but the name, and this is only in response to the fantastic success that Subaru and Audi have had with marketing AWD (Volvo and Mitsubishi as well)

These new Subies are just fantastic. My Dad owns a WRX and we just love it, it's the perfect Seattle commuter

Guest Anonymous

The 325iX is strong and reliable, and provides most of the benefits of the E30 325i. There are many happy 325iX owners, myself among them. See http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/iX/ for more info.

Like all E30s, the iX technology is several generations old. However, these cars are fairly modern compared to 02s, and are a real bargain right now. You can pick up a relatively low mileage 325iX for <$7K. In fact, I frequently see iXs with <125K miles in sub- $5K range. Such a car, if properly maintained, will have plenty of life left in it.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

200204.jpg

it's a great car, as long as you don't want/think your getting an IS. it IS slow (you'd be too w/all that extra weight). Yes the technology might be old on it (rel. to the new xi's) but it's great stuff.

NOT a performance car unless your performace is driving in very inclimate weather.

when you start to slip or slide, you don't feel it at all relative to the quattro that audi has. actually the quattro technology, i think made driving in bad weather quite a bit odd, from the 'pushing and pulling' you feel w/it vs. the awd of the ix.

ours has 152k miles on it, and we love it. we're probally going to keep it forever.

dave

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

tpo deal with. i was going to get a gonzo ix a couple years ago and wa s told to be afraid because much of the driveline and suspension is special and not interrelated to other E30 cars. Have you encountered this problem? if not, i would love an ix for Tahoe!

Guest Anonymous

200204.jpg

for example, doing the cv boots on the car is a pretty big job. but for the most part, it's really a 325 w/awd set up on it. so yeah, there ARE speciality parts for it, but w/normal car & maintence, they shouldn't give you a problem (at least we havn't had much problem w/those parts). neglect (like even w/an 02) would give you much more problem.

Gordon Haines from the ix registry is REALLY up on his ix stuff (i think he's had like ~3 or so of them)

i would LOVE to take my ix to tahoe. that'd be SO much FUN!!!

-dave

Guest Anonymous

Its nice reliable, practicle daily transportation... bought it new and now is has 64k miles. You should be able to find plenty of used Subies for cheap. Watch out for poorly maintained or modified WRXs though. Adding power and/or an abusive driver will trash the tranny on these cars. I haven't had any real problems beyond replacing rotors (under warranty) and some annoying rattles.

Another plus, IMO, is that you will enjoy your 02 even more. Driving a WRX is like swinging a sledgehammer in comparison to the delicate nature of an 02. Its fun and it gets the job done but an 02 is more rewarding and relaxing. Good luck in your search.

Karl

'02 WRX wagon

'73 2002tii

'70 1600-2

'65 1800TI

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/iX/

Since I just bought a 91' 2 door 325ix (5 speed) and also own an older 1984 Audi quattro turbo coupe and my girlfirend owns a 2000 Audi quattro Avant....maybe I can help.

First off I've only owned my ix for 4 weeks now. Bought it for $2600 (180K miles)... and have proceded to dump $1500 so far into her fixing all it's faults. (new front CV boots, bushings, struts $ shocks, rear upper shock mounts, new timing belt, water pump & fan clutch, etc ,etc,etc ). The most important thing with an ix is that the transfer case is intact and not worn. Used ones are $1500+ (if you can find one --my mechanic is currently looking for a used box for a 89' automatic that died at 140K miles!) and new from BMW is over $2-2.5K+. Go to the 325ix registry for tons of info. I like the car so far... not the most powerful feeling which is mainly due to the extra 200 lbs over the same year 325is. Still I expect great things once the snow falls... hopefully at least an equal to my quattro.

As for older Audi's they can be expensive to maintain (hence my reason for getting a BMW product). My quattro turbo coupe (one of 60 sold in the USA in 1984). Is a money pit... .. it's difficult to work on and parts are very expensive. A similar year 4000 is a bit easier to service (no turbo engine) but shares some of the same faults. Newer audi's by comparision are damn reliable... and there's nothing like driving an Audi in the snow. I've driven my quattro through 3 foot drifts, sheer ice on steep switch backs. Never been stranded yet. The 2002 Avant is just posh inside and with 100K miles in 3 years with really no warranty or out of warranty issues to mention.

As for Subies... well my mechanic has so far replaced head gaskets on 2 WRX's (both under 40K miles --10K miles out of warranty!) and at least a couple newer non turbo subies. I would stay clear of them at least when they're out of warranty... They are the most popular awd cars in the PNW (WRX's are like weeks and are everywhere) They're fun cars...just not something I'd park in the garage.

So if you have $6-$7 to burn... find a nice IX, if you have more $10-$12K find a 1998+ Audi. Or if you want to go cheap get a 1984-1987 4000 quattro ($2-3K). As for subies... get the newest one w/least mileage that you can.

Good hunting!

WH

Guest Anonymous

the front transfer case. If its not maintained they go bad,very very bad. As they get older its necessary to shim them and a couple of other things......

Guest Anonymous

Both cars are about the same value now. I too, was a little afraid of the iX specific parts. And being an E30M3 owner, I know what "specific" parts can cost.

The real kick in the pants is that we already own a 98 Audi. But the wife did not want a wagon, and was not concerned with AWD. I secretly lust after a WRX wagon, but I will not give up my other cars.

If you are going to get a third car, I would opt for the Subie. Especially if you are going in the snow. The E30 would be too much like a BMW and you might be tempted to make it really nice.

Guest Anonymous

Alot of people were dissapointed with that car.

Contrary to popular opinion. It is barely an all wheel drive car..The slip ratios are weak..

Had a customer at the dealer who had a Subaru and lived at the base of Big Bear where she had snow for about a mile before she got to clear roads...

She sold the Subaru to upgrade to a BMW and the first light snow she had to put chains on the BMW where she never had to on the Subaru...she was VERY dissapointed.

There are not many IX's around and parts are different from standard E-30 and harder to find...

Guest Anonymous

I've got one with the John Conforti chip in it. I'm impressed. It has a decent amount of power for what it is. One of my best friends is a BMW mster mechanic and he told me that the stories of breakdowns are really more the fault of poor maintainence than anything else. As for the AWD portion, R&T sang its praises over the Audi and Subi back in 1989 where it beat the comparable cars hands down.

Guest Anonymous

Your comments will help me make my decision. I am leaning REALLY heavily towards the ix. I am still a month or so away from making the commitment, I'm waiting for my truck to sell 1st. I forgot to mention I have a little soft spot for the Subies. I had a 1974 4x4 wagon for a year or so in the early '80s. But I think I will research the 325ix's and try and get a good one. Thanks again.

Steve P. in NC