Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

5spd conversion bad?!

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Need some input on 5 spd conversion. Very reputable 02 mechanic (20yrs+) advised me about pitfalls of a 5spd conversion for my tii. I won't say he said they sucked, but to be very aware of the potential ramafacations. i.e., sloppy un-positive shifter feel,(even with short shift mod), noisy driveshaft whining at certain rpms, a couple of other concerns.

I'd been looking forward to doing this soon but now I'm having second thoughts.

Anyone on the board not happy with conversion to 5spd after they did it?

BTW, this guy in no way indicated he would not help me change to the 5spd if thats what I wanted to do,just that he would stick with the stock set up given the choice.

Guest Anonymous

JUST FINISHED A WEEKEND TRIP - IT WAS ABSOLUTELY GREAT ON THE HIGHWAY

Guest Anonymous

will do it to my 76 next.

Guest Anonymous

single upgrade available for '02s - we put a used, Pick & Pull sourced unit in our '69 18 months ago and couldn't be happier (we've driven the car about 40K miles including trips from Sacramento to Colorado and southern CA since the installation).

The two primary "issues" your shop guy seems to have (sloppy shifter and noisy driveshaft) should NOT be a factor if the job is done properly.

If you've researched the FAQ archives for 5 speed info, you're already aware that there are several ways to do both the transmission crossmember and the shortened shift platform. Since I haven't driven anyone else's 5 speed conversion, I can't offer an opinion on any option other than the shortened 2002 shift platform and stock crossmember mounts moved aft - that combination on our car works great - shift pattern is a bit tighter than with the original 4 speed and much more precise (of course, all the bushings were new for the 5 speed), and there's no vibration from the driveshaft.

It's completely personal opinion, but I'd think twice about having someone do a job requiring modifications on your car if he's reluctant to do it or feels that the modification is a bad idea - if his heart isn't in the job, the potential for him doing a half-way job is considerable, and if you're not happy with the results, you may only get an "I told you it wasn't a good idea" in response.....

Guest Anonymous

Did my own and am extremely happy..no problems

Earl

74 2002Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

Guest Anonymous

But mine was very nicely done and have only praises about it. Cruising at 3.2K rpm is much quieter than at my usual 4K rpm before the swap...

Guest Anonymous

Thanks all for the input. I was really suprised by the negative feedback. All I have ever read on this board or others is positve on the 5spd, even though it can be tricky. I have a pretty good grasp of most of the benefits-downside to most 02 mods, but was not expecting the response I got when I asked him.

Guest Anonymous

Whoever this person is, he doesn't sound very "reputable" if those are the reasons he gives for not recommending doing a 5-speed conversion.

"Incompetent" springs to mind...

vince

Guest Anonymous

perhaps if one cuts corners and doesn't install a 5spd properly you could suffer from the symptoms your mechanic described.

that being said, I did my own 5spd conversion (using Metric Mechanic's kit) and absolutely love it. There are no shimmy's, vibrations, nada. No whining either except for the trans itself internally due to the gear oil I'm using (or possible bad TO bearing although new....)

do it right and you'll have no regrets.