Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Relays on 72 low and high beams, do they have them

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Getting a hot light switch on a 1972. I even get it when just the parking lights are on. I have the 5 watt PIA in the dash and three extra guage lights on a panel. I know to check the grounds which I will.

I plan on installing relays on the low and highs, if they do not have them. Any other suggestions on why the switch is hot and anything else I can do to calm it down? (Other than drive in the daytime....)

Guest Anonymous

When I went to H4's and slightly higher wattage bulbs on my car I added relays for both high and low. As I recall the switch would get warm before, but doesn't anymore.

The only thing I don't like about my relays is that I couldn't find anything that looked remotely vintage. Also, the extra wiring is a little hard to bury. However, maybe you can find some old-style round relays that would fit in better.

Matthew

Guest Anonymous

the low beams on a 1972 are fused, but no relay and the high beams go directly to the dip switch, no relay, no fuse and do not directly go to the light switch.

Any idea why the stalk on my light switch is hot when only the parking lights were on?

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

buy ne for H4s from painless wiring already made.sounds like resistanceis present and manifesting itself in heat in your switch. not good. use light onlya at night when temps are cooler until yu relay high and low. or put 45/60 watt bulbs back in for a while.

Guest Anonymous

I think the guys on the other board got it right...the upgraded interior lights are pulling too much current through the rheostat. Putting relays in for the headlights won't help the switch (although it helps in other ways).

Now it becomes an interesting experiment: how can you rewire the guage lights to get the current off the switch without losing the rheostat function. I have no clue.

Matthew

Guest Anonymous

I believe the heat is coming more from the PIAA superwhites in the dash and the extra lights in the guage pod, I am going to place relay between the light switch and the guage pod to see if that settles things down a bit.

Guest Anonymous

I have a plan. Will let you know if it works