petermeyer

5 speed Original ZF gearbox for my 1973 2002tii

3 posts / 846 viewsLast Reply

The close ratio was made in several versions, the one I used in the tisa was not the original close ratio, that trans was way too brittle for vintage racing, the 2002 original trans used porsche syncro s , parts are almost non existent, later versions used brass syncros, better, i used a 320 e-21 version. they were also available  for euro 318. and 323i the 323i requires, a front case change, the bolt pattern is different then the m10,  close ratio 5 speeds are for a engine with a narrow power band, a cam 300 degrees are larger. thats why alpina used it in most of their cars. good luck finding one, if it is a early unit it will need syncro s and sliding dogs,  5 gear is 1 to 1 as the 4 speed, the gap s between gears is smaller,  a good trans starts at 3000.00 up  Bruce M-tuner