Adding Crank Position Sensing to the Flywheel

Healey3000

Hi,

I know that the "normal" course of action is to put Tom's 36-1 pulley on the engine and call it a day.  I'm always making things more difficult but I enjoy that sometimes (...don't go there).

It looks like there is room on the edge of the flywheel to machine in teeth and mount a sensor on the bellhousing somewhere.  Anyone done this?  Is there enough wall thickness between the clutch bolt holes and the edge?  I could arrange the teeth to stay clear, if I had to, I suppose.  Also, the teeth don't need to be symmetrical so a narrow slit will suffice.

This is only being considered because I'll be in there during the 5-speed swap (I'm silly, not crazy; however, my wife has a different opinion).

Speaking of, I was at the DMV yesterday registering the car and the nice lady behind the counter looked at the model year, then stole a glance at me before asking "does your wife know you bought this?".

Thanks.

Yes, you could do this.  There's plenty of metal on the flywheel for it.

It's a lot of work, but just machining.  And maybe a bit of welding if

you wanted to leave the timing window visible.

Nope, haven't heard of anyone doing it.

The eta M20's did something similar, with a TDC sensor and a 'tone ring' output.

t

Yes, you could do this.  There's plenty of metal on the flywheel for it.

It's a lot of work, but just machining.  And maybe a bit of welding if

you wanted to leave the timing window visible.

Nope, haven't heard of anyone doing it.

The eta M20's did something similar, with a TDC sensor and a 'tone ring' output.

t

Good to know there's room on the flywheel; thanks.

Here's what one of the Lower Bavarian brothers has done:

attachicon.gif04200003.JPG  attachicon.gifIMG_0324_2009.JPG

Glued magnets, he says it works.

Hen

No magnets, no magnets.  There's something unattractive about them.  But it would work as a basic timing mark.

Archived